factory talk m.e.

RY_Guthrie

I had to uninstall and re-install factory view machine edition now when I try and start and start it now it just brings up the template screen and locks up, no indication, just stops completely. I have went thru the set up procedure several times, used the factory talk uninstall,and windows uninstall with now luck, anybody ran into this problem? I am running windows 7 professional and it is factory talk machine edition 6.10.00 ftviewme cpr 9 sr 4.

I'm afraid that I can't provide any useful troubleshooting suggestions; this sounds like a classic FactoryTalk FUBAR situation.

All I can say is that this is exactly why I only run FactoryTalk View Studio on a VMWare virtual machine.

It costs more money, it takes more computer resources, and it's slower and harder to connect to the network.

But in the handful of times I've had to start from scratch and reinstall, it has never failed to deliver a working installation in just a few hours.

I strongly encourage you to get a VMWare Workstation license and run FactoryTalk View Studio inside a VMWare virtual machine.

I've just purchased a fresh retail copy of Windows 7 Professional 32-bit just so I can create a new VM for FactoryTalk View Studio 7 and Studio 5000 v21.

Uninstalling FTV isn't all that great..there is a tech note about when you uninstall that to completely remove it all you have to manual remove some registry items. I can't seem to find the tech note, probably easier to call tech support.

Also look at tech note 65266, it discusses re-registering some .DLLs as there is a possibility they may have gotten corrupted.

Agree with Ken, virtuailize it!

ftv

I am going to run in under oracle virtual box, i all eady have it installed and getting ready to rehost the lic file. I dont have a contract with rockwell support so of course they wont even talk to me even though I have spent thousand of dollars on there software and hardware over the years.
I'm afraid that I can't provide any useful troubleshooting suggestions; this sounds like a classic FactoryTalk FUBAR situation.

All I can say is that this is exactly why I only run FactoryTalk View Studio on a VMWare virtual machine.

It costs more money, it takes more computer resources, and it's slower and harder to connect to the network.

But in the handful of times I've had to start from scratch and reinstall, it has never failed to deliver a working installation in just a few hours.

I strongly encourage you to get a VMWare Workstation license and run FactoryTalk View Studio inside a VMWare virtual machine.

I've just purchased a fresh retail copy of Windows 7 Professional 32-bit just so I can create a new VM for FactoryTalk View Studio 7 and Studio 5000 v21.

and getting ready to rehost the lic file.
not sure about virtualbox, but in vmware, if your license tied to ethernet card rather than hdd, there is no need to rehost because the virtual ethernet adapter inside virtual machine have the same mac address as the real adapter in the host OS.

edited: ...this is true if your virtual ethernet adapter configured to share the physical adapter mac address.

Last edited: