1734 POint Guard IO

Mike_RH

Lifetime Supporting Member
Afternoon All,

I am trying to get a 1734-IB8S module working in a test setup.
I am using it with an 1734-AENT module, and a L61S (V19 firmware). The IB8S has been successfully configured in the past.

In RSLogix 5K, there is no safety signature and the safety system is unlocked. The AENT module is communicating OK to the CPU. The IB8S is not communicating, in the connection properties it keeps timing out.
The Module info indicates the identities match, and the module is not owned.
I have tried to reset ownership, with no success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Check the firmware revision of the 1734-AENT, using the webpage or RSLinx Classic (right-click, Device Properties).

There are a lot of 1734-AENT v1 modules out there that are fine for v17/v18/v19 general purpose I/O, but won't support v20 or POINT Guard module connections. You need version 3.1 minimum for POINT Guard connections.

Thanks Ken - The AENT is 3.1
I am also seeing occasional connections error of " Mode or State of module does not allow action (or something similar).

I am using a 1756-ENBT at the CLX end - is there a minimum rev for that module? Though I am pretty sure I have had in working in the past.

Funny - The Devicenet module I am playing with worked fine (first time ever for Dnet!).

The information I can find says that the 1756-ENBT v4.6 or later can support CIP Safety, but I've only used -EN2T's with POINT Guard modules, so I can't say from direct experience.

Are there any other I/O modules in the 1734-AENT assembly ? Usually the actual vs. configured Rack size is the problem with new configurations of 1734-AENTs.

The AENT is configured for 3 slots.
Slot 0 = AENT
Slot 1 = 1734-IB8S
Slot 2 = 1734-OB8S (Also not working).

The ENBT is V6.x

I have had this setup working before, so it will be something silly.
As I mentioned, the CPU is unlocked and no safety signature is set.
The current ownership is displayed as ??

Ken,
Do you know if it is possible to send the safety modules a custom CIP message to reset them to out of the box?

I was parsing your statement too closely: you meant 'this setup', indicating the CPU/ENBT/AENT/xB8S modules. A lot of posters mean 'this one module I moved from the field to my test bench'.

I've always sent CIP Service 0x05 (Reset) to a module to put it in out-of-the-box condition, but I have never tried that with a 1734 Guard I/O module.

This troubleshooting might be out of my league; I'm a couple years removed from the state of the art at RA network products support.

Mike,

The project might be configured for 3 slots but the adapter needs to have that slot configuration applied to the AENT module.

If you double click the adapter in the IO tree, then navigate to the Chassis Size tab, there is an option to "Set Size in Module"

The numbers for "Size from General Tab" and "Size in Module" should match, if they do not you need to set the size and it should update correctly (sometimes after a power cycle to the AENT). See attached screens.

Hope this helps.

Kris

general.JPG chassis.JPG

Last edited:
Kris,

Thanks for the hint (I have been caught by that before), I checked again and both match at "3"

I've run into this before and one of the other engineers I work with did something like cycle power and all of a sudden the module worked fine (despite me already cycling power in my troubleshooting attempts).

I have also run into issues with the dial switches on the back of the module weren't aligned properly, or module from the factory is toast for some reason.

The only other thing I might try is swap the IB8S and the OB8S to see if the error or behavior changes.

As an aside, I've completely bricked some modules simply trying to connect to them over DeviceNet when tunneling through a SmartGuard over Ethernet. At that point I had to pop the dead module into a system running GuardLogix on a EthernetIP network, reset the module, and then it was ok again...

Sorry if my suggestions are a bit shotgun approach!

One more suggestion if you are really desperate:

Reconfigure the IO to only use 2 slots and the IB8S. See if it works.
Repeat but this time with the OB8S.

Perhaps one will work over the other, might narrow your troubleshooting efforts.

Good luck.

On a recent project I worked with a lot of Guard I/O Point IO modules. Maybe you can try to scan the remote rack from the EANT webpage. It should discover all modules in the rack, so you know the EANT sees and identifies is correctly.

I worked on a rack with 30+ modules and sometimes there wasn't a good connection between some modules. When I pushed at all the modules the connection was fine again.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I did a quick browse with IE and the chassis shows both modules.
The same is true for RSLinx.
Since the modules show up in both RSLinx and in IE, it is safe to say there is a good connection ?

If I generate a new network signature in the CPU, and then download. I get a network signature mismatch - which is great. Then I reset ownership. The mismatch error is then gone and instead I get time out errors.

Since its Friday of a long weekend, this will have to wait till Tuesday, but if anyone has any more suggestions I am happy to hear / try them.

Like a dog on a bone, I couldn't just walk away!

I flashed the AENT to new firmware (There was one update after what was in the module).

Then generated a new network signature, downloaded the project, reset the ownership on the two safe modules, and away it went.

I couldn't believe it, so I did it again - seems to be OK.

And some say Siemens is hard to use? Its got nothing on AB!

To all the Canucks out there - Happy Canada Day!