writing to panelview 550

red rocket

As the title says I have a panelview 550 (2711-k5a8l1 rvnA frn 4.20)

Its a simple program monitoring tank level.

I am using a slc 5/04.

I have an omega ultrasonic sensor reading the tank level and have that set up and functioning. The analog input card is reading the 4-20 signal.

I used an SCP to scale my input from the sensor, used a word bit as my output and the using a MOV I'm moving the scaled output to N12:0 (the integer file I set for the panelview)

Everything in my ladder seems to be functioning but my indicator on my panelview

Have you created a tag in the PV to read N12:0?

Are there any other PLC's on the DH+ network? Are you pointing the tag to the right PLC if you have more then one on the network?

Can you post the PV's program. Zip it first.

Last edited:
Exactly how is the indicator on the PanelView not functioning ?

Does it have no data at all (like ***** or ????) ?

Is the data not the value you expect ?

Is the data not changing ?

Are there any error messages showing on the PanelView terminal ?

Yes I have created a tag to read N12:0

The indicator is more like a bar graph line that fills as the level of the tank does.

It just isn't changing state at all.

In the program you posted your analog card is configured for engineering units which
will give you a count of 4000 for 4ma and a count of 20000 for 20ma. You should change the values in the SCP instruction to reflect this. I would not use a binary data type for the destination of your SCP instruction, use an integer or float data type.

See PDF for scaling values.

Not sure what you are doing with the TOD instruction.

FYI, The SLC does not write to the PV the PV polls the SLC for its data.

Can you post the PV's program to help solve the original problem.

I'm waiting to get the laptop back from another associate at the moment. But will post the PV program when I can.

I was originally writing the output of the SCP to an integer but it did not like it and wanted a word level destination.

LOL I do not know what I am doing with the TOD either. I copied and pasted a section from a working program on another piece of equipment that is functioning correctly. Which is why those commands are there.

Do I actually need a scanner card? I connected the dh through the port on the 5/04 cpu card to the panelview. Hopefully foregoing the need for a scanner card as its a small rack and I needed the 3 slots I had available for the analog input card, aswell as a digital in and out card

Do I actually need a scanner card? I connected the dh through the port on the 5/04 cpu card to the panelview. Hopefully foregoing the need for a scanner card as its a small rack and I needed the 3 slots I had available for the analog input card, aswell as a digital in and out card

No scanner card needed, your SLC5/04'd DH+ port should connect to the DH+ port on your PV directly. As long as the baud rates are the same, node addresses are different and termination resistors (proper size for baud rate) are installed properly it should communicate.

When using an integer for your SCP destination word level would be something like N7:0 (word address) not N7:0/0 (bit address).

See pictures for DH+ connection info if needed.

dhplusport.jpg resistor.jpg

Last edited:
The 2711-K5A8 is equipped with Data Highway Plus (DH+), which is the same protocol as the SLC-5/04 Channel 1 uses.

Mickey covered the basics of the wiring. If the DH+ connection was incorrect, you would get an error message on the PanelView, saying something like 'No Active Nodes on Network' or 'Write to SLC-5/04 Failed'.