GSD Files For Siemens PLC

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for a gsd file for a Siemens s7-300 PLC. The part number for the CPU is 315-2AF03-OABO. I need to read and write to the PLC from another system using Profibus DP. I have searched the Siemens site for hours and cannot find the file. I have contacted Siemens support and had confirmation that they received my request and nothing else since. Can anyone let me know where I can find the file at all please?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I could not find the tree view at all.

Hi BobB,
I have to ask, you do know that in order for another PLC to read/write to the 315-2DP via a GSD file, the 315-2DP has to be setup as DP slave and the I/O to be exchanged has to be configured in its program ?
In other words, the 315-2DP cannot have its own DP slaves, and the program has to be modified. It is not enough to merely import the GSD file in the other PLC and then it can read/write to the 315-2DP.

If the 315-2DP has its own DP slaves (it is therefore a DP master), then there are these possible solutions:
1. Place a DP/DP coupler between the two DP masters.
2. Let the 315-2DP remain a DP master, and let the other PLC be a DP slave.

Hi Jesper - thank you for your contribution once again. I am assuming that the PLC has been set up correctly at the moment as it is being monitored by Citect SCADA. The connection is being transferred to another PLC system and then on to a new Citect SCADA system that is going site wide eventually. The S7-300 will never be a master - always a slave. Monitoring is the main function but there is some control going back in. I will then have to get all the right addresses out of the current Citect SCADA for the PLC that will be doing the monitoring and control from the new SCADA. Right or wrong assumption? If wrong I have some work to do.

Does the Citect SCADA use OPC ? If OPC, you should investigate the configuration of the OPC server.
Can the Citect SCADA access any address in the S7 PLC ? That could indicate that both Citect and S7 PLC are DP masters.
Or can the Citect SCADA access just a few addresses ? That could indicate that the data transfer is by DP master-slave.

If the 315-2DP is a DP slave to the Citect as DP master, then you cannot connect it as a DP slave to the other PLC as DP master. A DP slave can only have one DP master.

Btw, that is a quite old S7 PLC. I think it is the type with MC card and a battery slot, and the little keyswitch.

I thought there was a way to pass MPI commands across the Profibus link in the dead space between scheduled transfers. It uses essentially the same mechanism as programming over Profibus. I would think this is how the Citect SCADA would access the plc. It is a peer-to-peer connection at that point. Since neither is really accessing I/O there is no master-slave relationship.

Keith

The SCADA is coming off the system. It is an old version of Citect and I doubt it would be using OPC - more likely a direct driver.
The other PLC system will be doing what it has to do with respect to reading and writing with the Siemens PLC and the new Citect SCADA is hooked into a network of new PLCs. The client wants the whole lot to be consolidated into the new PLC system as the old SCADA conputer has had it.
The other requirement is that the new Citect uses the excellent tab style pages. Eventually the new SCADA will go site wide and there are already 3 web managers hooked into the new SCADA server.
The client wishes to have the information from the Siemens PLC available site wide as it is on a motor gen set that converts 2400VAC @ 50hz to 2400VAC @ 60hz and the whole site runs on the motor gen set.
There are also 8 generators @ 60hz, 4 @ 2400VAC and 4 @ 480VAC coupled by transformers. The generators are used for power failure, soft transfer and peak lopping. The job is indirectly for NASA and is operated by the CSIRO here for NASA. It is a radio telescope site, the biggest dish in the southern hemisphere. It operates in conjunction with two other dishes of the same size in the US and Spain.
I will have a look when on site on Wednesday and Thursday and try to determine how Citect is set up. I will come back with more information and probably more questions.
Thank yo all so far - I do not often have to ask but this time I certainly do.
What a great site with lots of contributors with excellent knowledge and only too willing to assist. Thank yo all so far.

If it is a direct driver, then I bet that the old Citect either speaks MPI or Profibus master-master with the old S7 PLC.
The other PLC system will be doing what it has to do with respect to reading and writing with the Siemens PLC and the new Citect SCADA is hooked into a network of new PLCs
Dont really understand the setup you are going to have.
Are you keeping the old 315-2DP, and need to hook it up with the new Citect ?
Or are you keeping the old 315-2DP, and need to hook it up with another new PLC that forwards the information to the new Citect ?

Or are you keeping the old 315-2DP, and need to hook it up with another new PLC that forwards the information to the new Citect ?
Yes - there is some control to the 315-2DP from Citect as well.
The new 'master' PLC is a dual processor, dual power supply, redundant type. It has remote I/O and Modbus RTU comms as well. It is networked with 10 other PLCs and they all have remote I/O and multiple Modbus RTU comms as well. The new 'master' PLC is to communicate with the 315-2DP.
The new Citect communicates with the new 'master' PLC which also acts as a data gatherer/concentrator for the Citect - a server PLC may be a better description.
The new 'master' PLC also controls the operation of the whole power station with the exception of the motor gen set which is controlled by the 315-2DP PLC.
Each generator has it's own PLC controlled by the master PLC via the two station master PLCs..
Each power station has a station master PLC as well to look after the 4 generators in each side.
There is a great deal of redundancy in the system as it is a critical site.
If there is a failure of a generator PLC/control system/generator then only that generator will be lost.
If there is a failure of a station master PLC then only that particular station of 4 generators will be lost in automatic mode but the generators will be available in manual mode for full synchronisation/load sharing.
It is quite complex and has been a joy to design and implement so far. Much of the testing/commissioning has been done at night or in short windows of a few hours when NASA have organised a world wide blackout for the three telescope sites as they all operate together most of the time so that they are all on or all off.
Hope this clarifies things.

So to sum it up, the 315-2DP has to be a DP slave for the other new PLC that is DP master ? And at the same time, the new Citect has to communicate directly to the old 315-2DP ?
If so, the old 315-2DP program has to be modified somewhat.
Does the old Citect connect via MPI or DP ?
Shall the new Citect connect via MPI or DP ?

So to sum it up, the 315-2DP has to be a DP slave for the other new PLC that is DP master ?
Yes.
And at the same time, the new Citect has to communicate directly to the old 315-2DP ?
No.
Citect will only communicate with the new master - the new master will communicate with the 315-3DP.
I will have to have a look onsite to say how Citect communicates with the 315 at the moment.

OK - just returned from site and the current PC has a Profibus card in it and Citect communicates directly with the PLC. I am going to contact Siemens and find out if they have a similar card to fit a PCI slot and suitable for Windows 7 x 32 bit.
I will then have to contact Citect about the correct driver to use. Too hard into the PLC - have decided to not re-invent the wheel.
The number on the Profibus card is 6GK1541-2BA00 few other numbers as well. It is an ISA card - no ISA slot in the computer anymore. If there is a PCI card available I guess it will come with a driver?

Siemens Profibus card for a PC with PCI (not PCI express) and Windows 7 32/64 bit: CP5613 A2 (6GK1561-3AA01).

Siemens Profibus card for a PC with PCI express and Windows 7 32/64 bit: CP5622 (6GK1562-2AA00).

I am betting that on the old Citect PC with the CP5412 ISA card, there is also the Simatic Net software. As far as I know, Citect can use one of two types of communication with S7: Via Simatic Net and a socalled "S7API" connection, or via Simatic net and an OPC connection. Both these methods require that the connection is setup in Simatic Net.

So you probably need also a new Simatic Net software that matches the new CP5613A2/CP5622 card. That is Simatic Softnet-PB S7 (6GK1704-5CW08-2AA0).
You should investigate what options the current Citect has for connecting to an S7. A good bet would be OPC, and then you need the above hardware and software.

Thanks Jesper - Simatic Net is on the computer but the client thought it was to communicate with a couple of drives - bit more than that it seems.
I am not sure but suspect the slot may be PCI Express then - will have to find my invoice for the computer to be sure - no good buying the wrong card.