control logix

realtime

Does anyone know of a serial card for a AB controllogix PLC that contains configurable support of DF1 Half/Full Duplex Master/Slave ports besides the Prosoft technologies MVI cards?

Prosoft is the only vendor that A-B has licensed to build interface cards for the 1756 ControlLogix platform. All of the MVI56 modules, including the "MVI" that A-B sells, are the same engine under the hood.

If you don't want to buy Prosoft because of price, then you're barking up the wrong tree. If you don't want to buy Prosoft because of the configuration method, then you can just get another Logix CPU and put it in the chassis. They support all the DF1 protocols out of the serial port.

I've heard about A-B planning a DF1 card that "bridges" messages to a CPU across the backplane instead of using the database method that Prosoft uses, but I don't think that will be released in 2004.

Thanks for all the help. This is wait I was affraid of, I was trying to remove the inefficient AB power supply but the prosoft card requires a precise voltage that it is difficult to remove without much care to the power circuit.

Huh ?

Why would you care what the efficiency of the A-B power supply is ?

Last edited:
I am trying to minimize power to the system that I am running in any way possible(limited power available). This is a very minimal part of the power draw on the system, but anywhere I can minimize helps. I guess I will have to look elsewhere in the system to find some power savings.

application?

Could you please explain your application in detail?
There might be other solutions to your problem.