OT: Microsoft TechNet Subscriptions Going Away

jkerekes

I just read today that the subscription based part of Microsoft TechNet is going away. In the future, they will just provide free 3-6 month evaluation copies. Now I've been using some of the TechNet OSes for development purposes in a VM. Specifically the Server OSes. Now I realize I'm in violation of the latest terms of use for using it this way. Since TechNet is for evaluation only. I don't know what I'll do in the future for projects where I need a Windows Server OS to develop on.

I was a bit disappointed by this as well, but then I realized I hadn't used my Technet sub much this year except to download Windows 8. I started out using it so I could get into virtualization and play with the server OS and such, just for my education, never developed anything on them that was actually a sold product. I've been using the trail software quite a bit as of late as I've been playing more with VM's, and the trial software was just easier. SQL Express meets my needs on the database end of this as well.

You can re-arm the trail software, I think it's up to 5 times which gives you a lot of time before you have to rebuild. Probably questionable ethics of developing on "trial" software.

In your case, you really should get an MSDN subscription, these are meant for development and cost a bit more. The basic OS subscription is $699 if I recall, it's per USER but gives you unlimited access where as with Technet you only were granted 2 keys. It's more money, but if you need it for your business $699 for the year isn't bad. $60/month business expense should be pretty easy to pass the cost in with your project work.

If you work for a company, ask about volume licensing and if it would be available for development work.