Ethernet Communication Issue

karthikolive

1747-SLC 5/05 C, I am able to ping the processor even though not get it in Rslinx..I tried Straight/Crossover Ethernet Connection, Updated latest Rev EDS also.Then to am getting "Unrecognized Device".Anybody can help me Plz?

karthikolive,

i have had the same thing happen before.

several things to try

going directly from the pc to the plc requires a cross over cable.
if you can, recoot plc and see if you can see the plc using bootp - you may not have the correct ip address programmed in.
double check your plc ip and subnet mask, is the dhcp client turned on?
reboot pc
create new driver for the plc and see if that helps
use an ethernet ip driver.

regards,
james

PING is a good start. Even better is TCPing, which lets you test connectivity to TCP Ports 2222 and 44818 (which are used by the SLC-5/05).

Once you have PING working, I usually test with a web browser to be sure you can see the embedded web page of the processor. This will also let you verify the exact firmware revision.

Then you can start working with RSLinx Classic.

A yellow question mark with a red X indicates that the device is not replying to inquiries at all. This is unlikely if you have established communications using PING and HTTP.

A yellow question mark without a red X indicates that the correct EDS file is not installed in RSLinx Classic. Use the firmware revision information from the web page (or from right-clicking and selecting Device Properties in RSLinx) to determine the exact EDS file to install.

Remember that you must use the RSLinx Hardware Installation Tool to register the EDS files; do not simply place them in the RSCommon/EDS directory.

Another reminder: when you download the EDS file, place it on the desktop or in another easy-to-find download directory. Do not attempt to run the Hardware Installation Tool on an EDS file that is already in the RSCommon/EDS directory.

.....Another reminder: when you download the EDS file, place it on the desktop or in another easy-to-find download directory. Do not attempt to run the Hardware Installation Tool on an EDS file that is already in the RSCommon/EDS directory.

I've never even thought of that one, Ken...

Is it because the Hardware Installation Tool attempts to copy the file, and because the source and destination directory are the same, it fails ??

Daba; that's about it. The modern versions of the tool might check for the source and destination folders being the same and halt, but I've seen old versions mess up the Registry profoundly.

Ethernet Communication

1747-SLC 5/05 C, I am able to ping the processor even though not get it in Rslinx..I tried Straight/Crossover Ethernet Connection, Updated latest Rev EDS also.Then to am getting "Unrecognized Device".Anybody can help me Plz?

For those of you who don't want to open the PDF file, it contains a screenshot of PING successfully returning a reply from 192.168.1.10, and RSWho showing a AB_ETH driver with 192.168.1.10 underneath it, with a yellow question mark and a red X.

As I already described, a yellow question mark with a red X tells you that RSWho is getting no reply at all from the device.

I furthermore suggested that you use something other than PING to confirm the device configuration and connectivity. I suggested TCPING and HTTP.

If PING, TCPING, and HTTP all confirm that the device has a properly configured IP address and subnet mask, then you should carefully examine your Windows Firewall settings.

RSLinx Classic comes with a Windows Firewall Configuration Utility that is usually run automatically when you install RSLinx Classic, but you may wish to run it separately to be sure it has taken effect.