so over my head

Mad_Scientist

...wow.. thats really all i can say. my brain hurts from all the information around plc's.

ive decided to take a step back and learn plcs from the beginning so i had my boss order the books..

that said, I was hoping someone could check my setup and see if everything i have spec'd will work

linear actuator - tolomatic ICR integrated servo/drive
HMI+PLC - Unitronix vision enhance v1040
power supplies - baluff 48v 5 amp for actuator ( need 15 amp for full power but only running at a fraction of what the actuator can do) baluff 24v 1.5 amp for HMI

is there anything else I need to get. signal conditioner, or transformers, fuses, etc to power this bad boy up? (i have programming cables)

This is a test rig that simply moves the actuator in and out all day long.

lol I did that.. believe me. We spent the better part of 2 weeks just finding the "best" components. unfortunately, the one person doesnt sell each product. according to the specs it all "should" work.

Im just gonna pull the trigger and go for it. its only 5 grand right. hehe

Looks like a bit of a "hodge podge"
I guess that's how it's spelled. Why not buy a packaged system ie.. AB or Siemens plc and servo
How does your system send position commands from plc to servo?

:confused:

told you..over my head! Im learning as i go here. This is what was spec'd out for me based on the functions I need. I asked someone to put me together a package that i could easily program with ladder logic (once i learn it) and i didnt really pay to much attention to the hardware side of things. (other than the actuator size/stroke/speed)

id be more than willing to look at a packaged unit if i knew what the heck i was looking for..

that defeats the purpose of me learning what im doing. i have 4-5 more machines to do after this. each more complicated than the next. this is the "simple one" that im tryin to get my feet wet on. ladder logic doesnt look to hard, its just the communication aspect of it im not sure about. making sure one device can talk to another, making sure i have the right add on modules or whatever..

Last edited:
Ok
I have watched the WEB Video for your ICR unit
What type of interface are you intending to use.
What is your application
what do you want the PLC to do?
How fast is the application
- This is a normal servo controller system
- so you need to tell us the application

I think that's great and I'm sure you don't want to break the bank but
The combination you are picking probably isn't the most widely accepted in industry
Do you have a pick of the machine ?

the Unitronics HMI/PLC is a good and Cheap PLC
- If We were designing something we would use products we know.
- I am currently looking at a Unitronics interfacing to Access
- That is the suppliers request.
but How is it to be used in this application.
I have had to install an E/Net Module into the V130 I am using.
I Note that there is a number of optional Comms modules available
including RS232, CANOPEN or DH+
What is needed

"basically" what this machine has to do, is cycle the actuator a number of times. the end point of the stroke will be set with a rotary dial.

the speed and force used will be pre-programmed and called up based on what product is loaded into the test rig. speeds range from 1-4" per second. max force is 44lbs (at 1.5"/sec) using a 100% duty cycle, 150lb actuator. I opted for the integrated ICR for space savings and simplicity. the few people i did talk to specifically regarding this actuator all commented on how reliable and easy to use it was.

the reason i selected the vision 1040 is mainly for the ability to have a large display for users. this is supposed to be simple for the end user. they put an injector in the machine, call up the program via picture based menus, set the endpoint when prompted, then input the number of cycles and press go.

there is also other fucntions i need to control, fluid transfer motors, cooling fans. all fairly simple. and all later down the road when we transistion more from a stroke machine to an all out quality controtest rig

later on down the road i need to upgrade the machine to include force sensors, a scale for dosage testing (that is datalogged for quality control, not used for I/O)

Last edited:
If That 'End of Stroke' is the POT on the ICR itself, then you only need a digital go / stop command
the analogue PLC control may be the cheapest better initial option.
Although using CANOPEN or similar will give you a 'COPY and PASTE' option for future options

If That 'End of Stroke' is the POT on the ICR itself, then you only need a digital go / stop command
the analogue PLC control may be the cheapest better initial option.
Although using CANOPEN or similar will give you a 'COPY and PASTE' option for future options

the end of stroke could be anywhere in the 5" of stroke that the actuator produces. the "pot" that you speak of is on the icr basic not the icr plus. the icr plus is much more accurate and controllable, and can be set to stop anywhere. the basic cant without manual adjustment.

anyways, from what i was told this combination of hmi+plc and integrated servo would allow me to program with ladder logic and output over standard rs232. thats really all i know.

Last edited:
Can Unitronix expand to your needs?
What's the interface to the actuator rs232 or ?

Last edited:
I thought that was the case.
Don't take this the wrong way, but, this is for other 'NEW' Post readers.
Welcome to the site by the way.
the fact that this is the 'PLUS' type was missed.
as I said the cheapest initial option is the 4~20 mA you can scale this so your servo responds.
But
If you have the time to 'Play' then go for the Comm's setup type.
It is harder to setup but will make it easier for you in the future.
A knowledge of 'Bus Comm's' systems will benefit you in the future.
A huge advantage with initial pain only.