Single ended vs differential current wiring

Applesnapple

Hello,

I am attempting to wire instrumentation to an AB IF16 analog input card. In examining the documentation for the card, I've come to know that there is much I don't know about single ended vs. differential wiring. I understand that they require different wiring depending on which they are, but I'm not entirely sure of what that entails. In addition, I wonder if it's possible to have single ended and differential instruments going to the same card? Any info would be appreciated!

Single-ended wiring compares one side of the signal input to signal ground.
This difference is used by the module in generating digital data for the
controller. When using the single-ended wiring method, all input devices are
tied to a common ground. In addition to the common ground, the use of single-ended
wiring maximizes the number of usable channels on the module. In your case (16).

The differential wiring method is recommended for applications that may have
separate signal pairs or a common ground is not available. Differential wiring
is recommended for environments where improved noise immunity is needed. The
differential wiring method lets you use only half a module's channels. In
differential mode, the channels are not totally isolated from each other.
If multiple differential input signals have different voltage common references,
one channel could affect the reading of another channel. If this condition cannot
be avoided, then wire these inputs on different modules or replace the non-isolated
module with an isolated input module.

Since you must inform the system of the wiring method choice during configuration
of the modules communication format, it is not possible to use both single ended
and differential connections simultaniously.