Difference Between various PLC's

Chris_26

Greetings Everyone..!

Guys I am relatively new to the plc world.The other day I was going through the various kinds of plc manufactured by AB.So what is the difference between various series of PLC's(softlogix,compact logix, micrologix) manufactured by AB..?
:unsure:

Chris,

This is an independent site that offers PLC comparisons. They have 5 different AB (Rockwell) PLCs listed. This could be a start for you. It could also be good if you go beyond AB and are looking at other PLCs.

http://plccompare.com/

Hope this helps.

Shalom and God Bless,

the price lol

It's basically memory capacity and time to execute a large program. i/o maximum driving quantity. Communication is rarely a concern as small plc have usually all.
Micro (Local Machine on RS500
Compact (Local very large machine or just to use RS5000 soft)
Control (PArt of a large plan or a complete plan)
Softlogic on industrial PC

Give a look to other brands also, if you want to go into plc programming, you need to remain open minded.

All PLCs and PACs work alike, AFAIK none of them defy the laws of physics.
Where the major differences are is in the tools we use to interface to them and the components used to manufacture them.
These tools and components are what make one easier, faster or more reliable than another. YMMV

PLC Compare is a valiant attempt to do a comparison of PLC brands and is useful to a point. However, unless you know every PLC really well (inside out) trying to compare chalk and cheese is almost impossible.
When I look there I see so many things missing/incorrect/do not knows that making a true comparison for a potential buyer is really not possible.
The people who put up the site really did a pretty good job but without the input of everyone who knows each brand of PLC really well it will never be a definitive comparison. Also I have no idea how all data would be assembled for readable assessment. There are things I look for in a PLC deep down such as some functions that I use all the time to make my life easy.
The site is, however, a really good 'first look' site - investigations then have to go a heck of a lot further.
For example, I program by I/O numbers and hate tags with a passion - they are too slow, so the tolls need to make programming this way from the keyboard quickly and easily is really important. Online programming also has to be quick and easy. Functions such as bit counters, linear approximation and quite a few other things are also important to me.
A major one is how easy is it to set up automatic data transfer between PLCs over Ethernet IP or another network? Extremely important when one has up to 20 or so PLCs all exchanging data on a network.
Different people will always look for different things.

Last edited: