FactoryTalk View SE Tag Names

keith.morton

I have a CompactLogix CPU talking to a FTVSE server.
After I change a tag name in the PLC the FTVSE server does not recognise the new name. It continues to use the old name.
How do I force FTVSE to recognise the new tag name?

You will need to open FTVSE and edit any direct references to the changed tag. (both in hmi tags and alarm and events servers).

FTVSE has a tool for search and replace of tags in hmi displays but it has a few pitfalls.

regards
Dave

if you want to save yourself a headache, alias the tag back to the old name. everything will once again work without editing

The tag at issue is part of a user defined type so it can't be aliased. The tag is only being referenced directly using numeric displays and VBA, nowhere else. Perhaps the server needs restarting!?

FTVSE isn't that clever.

If you go into the tag browser you can refresh the online tags, however this will not update the direct references in the hmi displays, VBA or event servers. You will need to do this manually.

As far as I know there is no easy way to update the VBA as it is no longer in a seperate file (I think it is now integrated into the gfx file). Open each page, go to the VBA, search replace old tag-> new tag

Use the graphic search and replace tool on all your hmi pages.

Use excel to edit any event or hmi tag references.

regards
Dave

Perhaps I didn't make the issue clear enough.
The issue is that I have a member of a UDT array that was originally called "Lt_Wt". I renamed it "Lot_Wt" but FTVSE seems to still refer to it as "Lt_Wt" although it is definitely "Lot_Wt" in the PLC. I have had to change my VBA code to refer to "Lt_Wt" but that's just not what the tag is named!
I suspect that at some time FTVSE will do an update and then my VBA code will fail.
I hope that clears up the issue detail.

Ok.

open the tag explorer
find your shortcut
right click the online folder -> refresh folder
check that your changed tag exists

If your shortcut is referencing an offline tag export, make sure to update that too.

regards
Dave

Tried refreshing tags in the browser, nothing changed! Its like it I stuck on the old tag name and it won't see the new one!

A couple of things...

Are you using redundant servers?
If so make sure you replicate to the backup server any changes.

if refreshing the folder under the shortcut does not work, try refresh all from the root.

I have had instances in the past where the shortcut would not update and the server needed a reboot. Worth a shot as long as you don't halt production?!

regards
Dave