Looking for a job in oil and gas, anyone?

mitureg

Hi everyone, thank you for reading this post.

I would like to call up for opinions in regards to oil and gas entry jobs for somebody that doesn't have any related experience (me).

Here is the thing. I am currently reorienting my career. I started an HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

My goal is to get a job as a trainee in Asia to gain experience.

I was told that learning PLC programming was a good asset and could potentially be a good gateway to an entry job in oil and gas.

Any thoughts on that so far?

I would like to have your opinion on this:
Does an HNC without experience can lead to a job in the Oil and Gas sector(relocation is not a problem, Asia, middle-east..)?

Would it be better to get a job at a vendor or a contractor?

What kind of position and salary can be expected for an HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering without experience?

Is PLC programming and control related studies a good investment to get into oil and gas?

I am a Canadian expat. Would it be possible for me to get a job in Asia without prior experience in my own country?

Much appreciated,
Cheers!

Last edited:
I have no idea what an HNC is.
I worked in the automotive industry for 10 years in detroit area before getting hired on in Oil and Gas industry. As far as control systems there is no difference between an oil platform and a robotic welding table looking at it from the PLC. If you are good at electrical troubleshooting I think you can succeed anywhere.
If you can follow, read and understand ladder logic and are capable of understanding what will happen with a logic change with 100% certainty you should be fine.
The biggest issue is changing from a home every night job to 21 days home and 21 days at work.
Pay is a lot better.

Hi Scott, thank you for your reply.

I have no idea what an HNC is.

It's a first year university certificate in the UK. I think it's the equivalent of an ***. Degree in the US (not too sure about this one though).

If you are good at electrical troubleshooting I think you can succeed anywhere.

What would you suggest to train myself for troubleshooting?

I have another question, the CompEx certification, is it too technical for someone that doesn't have any working experience? Do you have it?

Cheers.

I am in the Oil industry and I can tell you there are a bunch of jobs in North Dakota, USA. I work for a Measurement Distributor and we may be looking for some help in Dickinson, ND.
The Oil Industry is one place were you can grow into just about any job no matter what your education level. It is more based on your abilities than your degree!! I have a few years of collage but no degree and have been doing Engineering for 20+ years now.

Alberta and North Dakota are by far the fastest growing oil and gas developments in the world.

Having talked to guys who worked in the Middle East, Africa and Asia.... if I held a Canadian passport I would head straight for Alberta.

One of our guys just came back from a field just north of Fort McMurray. He was working on a rock crusher. He said there is a lot of automation and DCS/HMI work to be done there. He said the satellite maps on Google Earth are dated. They are constantly adding new equipment and buildings. If I were you I would look at Fort McMurray first.

Oil and Gas is one of our growing industries because they are automating more and more. Also there is a need for safety and monitoring. It is just a matter if you would like living there.

I think it's the equivalent of an ***. Degree in the US (not too sure about this one though).
In the United States, a B S (Bachelor of Science) university degree is normally a diploma from a 4-year course of study in a certain field.

I think you will have trouble finding an overseas job with no experience.

Even as a trainee?

So far Ken and Bulzi mentionned Alberta and North Dakota. That's good to know.

What about Singapore or Asia in general, any thoughts on that?

Lancie1 said:
Quote:
I think it's the equivalent of an ***. Degree in the US (not too sure about this one though).
In the United States, a B S (Bachelor of Science) university degree is normally a diploma from a 4-year course of study in a certain field.

An associate degree is an undergraduate academic degree awarded by community colleges, junior colleges, technical colleges, and bachelor's degree-granting colleges and universities upon completion of a course of study usually lasting two years. In the United States, and some areas of Canada, an associate degree is often equivalent to the first two years of a four-year college or university degree. Source: wiki

Cheers.

The thing to know about college degrees of all types is that anybody can write one, and degrees are only as good as the reputation of the entity doing the writing. A degree from a school with a poor reputation (nothing much behind it) will not help you any more than simply going out and getting some work experience.

Decide on which company and which job you want, find out the company creditials for doing that job, then go get those creditials. If the company is not impressed by a certain online college course of study, then avoid that college.

I think I am about ready for my PHD - "Piled Higher & Deeper".

Last edited:

The three letters before "degree" were censured... it was "asc." (I probably made a typo with a double "s"... lol)

A degree from a school with a poor reputation (nothing much behind it) will not help you any more than simply going out and getting some work experience.

Decide on which company and which job you want, find out the company creditials for doing that job, then go get those creditials. If the company is not impressed by a certain online college course of study, then avoid that college.

Good tips. Thanks Lancie.

Last time I did an application, the HR from the soothed company was more concerned about certification. They were looking for people with few experience to none, offshore but with the following certifications: CompEX and Bosiet.

CompEX: Certification for hazardous area (potential explosion with electrical facility)
Bosiet: Emergency evacuation training from an offshore installation.

For the CompEX I was quoted $2800 USD by Singapore.
For the Bosiet after research I got roughly a 1000$ figure USD for this training.

Any thoughts on that?

Much appreciated,
Cheers.

For the CompEX I was quoted $2800 USD by Singapore.
For the Bosiet after research I got roughly a 1000$ figure USD for this training.

Any thoughts on that?
You are on the right path. You know what they need in order to hire you. Those both have to do with safety on the oil platform, a must for this type of work. The hazardous area training is for mainly for electrical personnel, electricians, electrical engineers, and technicians, so that they do not incorrectly design, install, or change important electrical safety provisions for electrically hazardous areas.

The evacuation training is obvious. I would want to know what to do and how to get off, in case something burns or blows up.

The prices sound reasonable for 1 or 2 weeks training in a classroom.

Last edited: