Grafcet

First, you should be looking for SFC for dummies.

Sometime back in the late 80s, Grafcet was incorporated into the IEC 61131-3 specification as SFC. I don't think much has been done with Grafcet since then. The home page has a lot of broken links and the little that is there is mostly in French.

Get a book on the IEC 61131-3 programming. A couple links have been posted in the past. I bought the specification which really isn't very good. I haven't seen a book called SFC for dummies. However, I have used Mitsubishi's version of SFC and it was easy enough to use without a manual, but then I had the specification and the Mitsubishi SFC implementation only supports a subset of the SFC specification.

you should check this out too:
http://www.61131.com/links.htm

Last edited:
Re: First, you should be looking for SFC for dummies.

Peter Nachtwey said:
Sometime back in the late 80s, Grafcet was incorporated into the IEC 61131-3 specification as SFC.

I think you're right. The ABB series 40/50 processor is a French product. It was originally programmed using their "AC31GRAF" software. Now, these PLCs have been added into ABBs 61131 software. You can use either package.

Just for grins, you might want to try this link. It's specific to ABB's software, but a "standard" is a "standard," right?

AK

PhilipW said:
akreel....many thanks, the ABB reference is the best I have seen yet

Glad it helps.

That located on the web site of an ABB distributor I've been working for. I don't think ABB's own documentation library is as organized.

AK