Monitoring Communications - PV+ to ML1100

brstilson

Got a new project going where I have one PVPlus talking to several Micrologix 1100s. I would like to put something on the screen that pops up when the screen loses communication with a given PLC. I realize this is already a feature of sorts on the PVPlus, but the messages can be kind of cryptic for an operator and I would like to show something that normal people could understand. I haven't really done anything like this before, so I don't really know where to start. Appreciate the help.

RSLinx Enterprise has a pre-defined Item for each Shortcut called "@IsPresent" that is true when the PanelView is communicating with the controller. It only indicates basic communications connectivity; there's a separate @Mode item to determine Run/Prog/Fault mode.

You can use that as an Alarm trigger, or you could use it to animate the visibility of a picture or text object.

Because Value = 0 cannot be an Alarm trigger value, use an Expression as the Alarm trigger, with the NOT operator. I have the exact syntax if you need it.

RSLinx Enterprise has a pre-defined Item for each Shortcut called "@IsPresent" that is true when the PanelView is communicating with the controller. It only indicates basic communications connectivity; there's a separate @Mode item to determine Run/Prog/Fault mode.

You can use that as an Alarm trigger, or you could use it to animate the visibility of a picture or text object.

Because Value = 0 cannot be an Alarm trigger value, use an Expression as the Alarm trigger, with the NOT operator. I have the exact syntax if you need it.

I don't see @IsPresent in the list under the Diagnostics Folder. Is it one of those things that exists but can't be seen? I do see @Mode.

Just saw this in the KB:
The @IsPresent item should only be used with Logix family processors.

Since the Micrologix is technically not in the Logix family (despite the name), is there an equivalent I can use?

EDIT: I also noticed there is an @Communications item I can select, but it is not listed in the RSLinx Enterprise help file.

Last edited:
Try the @IsPresent item anyhow and see if it works. It's been buggy, historically, and the Knowledgebase is full of references to it.

I do have a MicroLogix 1400 handy so I can test with FTView 6.10, at least on my development PC.

Last edited:
Try the @IsPresent item anyhow and see if it works. It's been buggy, historically, and the Knowledgebase is full of references to it.

I do have a MicroLogix 1400 handy so I can test with FTView 6.10, at least on my development PC.

Okay, I'll give it a try when I get the hardware. Thanks!

Another option is to use a multistate indicator pointing to a PLC address, doesn't really matter what address. For example, create multistate looking at S:1/15. On the states, have 0 and 1 both state "PLC Comms OK" with a green background. On the error state use something like "NO PLC Comms" with a red background and blinking. Now whenever you use lose a connection this mutlistate will error out and will display whatever you set it up for. Hope I explained this without confusion.

James

Another option is to use a multistate indicator pointing to a PLC address, doesn't really matter what address. For example, create multistate looking at S:1/15. On the states, have 0 and 1 both state "PLC Comms OK" with a green background. On the error state use something like "NO PLC Comms" with a red background and blinking. Now whenever you use lose a connection this mutlistate will error out and will display whatever you set it up for. Hope I explained this without confusion.

James

Nope, I understand. :D Kind of obvious now that I think of it!

I found this as part of the KB on the Pre Defined Items. This saved me from asking a few questions. Thought someone else could use it.