Adding an HMI to an existing machine

Rick L

I'm new to the forum and have a question regarding adding an HMI to an existing machine.
A little back ground about me, I am familiar with electronics as I took a 2 year electronics course in the 80s. I understand what PLCs do and how they work but have not done any real programing, I have played around with the plc simulator a few times and was able to make it do what I wanted.
I'm a Tech at a syringe manufacturing plant, the assembly machines are fairly complex and controlled by LS PLCs using KGL WIN software. The machines have 4 operator stations to manage the parts going into the machine, inspection and finished product. The PLCs that control the machines have several error conditions programed into them to stop the machine if something goes wrong in the process. We currently use a system of lights and warning buzzers to make the operators aware of issues with the machine. The problem is as we add more error conditions to the PLC we have to add another warning light or buzzer so the operator knows where to look for the problem. We now have so many lights and alarms that it is confusing for the operators.
I feel using one light and alarm to notify the operator of an issue and an HMI to display a brief message of where the problem is would be a much better system.
My boss agrees but is telling me that the PLC set up we are using (LS PLC and KGL WIN)is not compatible with an HMI. Is there an HMI available that could be added to our machine without a major overhaul and reprograming of the current PLC? It's main function would be for displaying information about the error conditions. Any input is appreciated

Looks like the Red Lion G3 can talk to your LS PLC.

http://www.redlion.net/Support/Downloads/CablesandDrivers/G3/LGLS.html

What you want to do should be pretty straightforward. The HMI will read the bit in the PLC that normally would illuminate your warning light. This will trigger the appropriate text message. Once you get familiar with the HMI, you will find LOTS more you can do with it... (y)

🍻

-Eric

Thanks for the quick reply. I couldn't understand why it wouldn't be possible. What you describe is exactly what I envisioned, use the outputs that are already in the PLC as inputs to the HMI to display the proper message. I'm sure that I have over simplified it but I'm glad to hear it can be done. Time to do some more research, thanks for the link.