PLC Hardware and Programming

jogreis

Hi everyone,

I am new to PLC and I'm pretty interested in learning more for my brewery. I would like to check out if Im able to automate my small sized brewery.
I was checking those Do-More PLC's and they seem interesting to me.

First of all, this is what I want to do:
2 tanks I would like to have a PID ramp/soak control opening and closing valves with actuators with steam for heating up my batch. My temperatures should be 50°C for 30 minutes, 65°C for another 30 and 75°C for 15 minutes.

I also would like to control my small steam generator, by turning my electric heating element on/off accordingly to a pressure set (20psi).

Can you guys help me out? Is this something too hard for a beginner to learn?
Can I use those PLC's or should I go to the DirectLogic ones?

Any help would be amazing! Thanks a lot!

Best wishes,
Jonas

Hi Jonas,

I helped a local customer that owned a Micro Brewery and grill, his was all done by hand/manual but added a few Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1100's and a few PanelView HMI's along with a lot of solenoid valves and and RTD's

Last I heard it was running good and he was opening another grill

He did not have any other programming experience, I don't think this was easy for him and he did get a little help from others

I don't know a lot about the Do-More CPU's

I haven't used the do-mores myself, but the company i work for did not like them. we do use the direct logics when we can, and they should do for your application. don't forget to include safety items. need any help let me know.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to try the Do-Mores yet either. For your project, even a little DL06 (with a temperature input module added on) is probably more than sufficient.

🍻

-Eric

hey guys, thanks a lot for your replies! =]

so, if i want to control 1 heating element (with boiler pressure) and 1 actuated valve for steam (with tank temperature) i would basically need: DL-06 PLC, Temperature Sensor, Pressure Sensor, C-Micro HMI, ...

Some relays are also needed, right?

Also, what is that temperature input module mentioned?

Thanks!
Jonas

I haven't used the do-mores myself, but the company i work for did not like them. we do use the direct logics when we can, and they should do for your application. don't forget to include safety items. need any help let me know.

Max, do you have examples/reasons why you company did not like Do-More? I anticipate future Do-More projects and would value your insight!

so, if i want to control 1 heating element ....

1st Make a list pf what you will be controlling (tanks, valves, heaters, HMI's) everything you can think of then add all the I/O needed and add spares

If possible go to another brewery... take pictures (with your phone) and look at their system, if you know the people ask them about the system they have, you may want to ask if you can take the pictures ;)

For me the DL06 was a little on the small side, maybe the 205 would be a better fit

The only problem I would have with the HMI/plc Idea, is will it still be there and supported in 10 years? I believe autmation direct is in for the duration.

I also have a problem with the fact you can only get this particular brand in a 1/4 vga resolution, anybody remember a CGA monitor, that is what it is 320X480 on a 6" screen will not give you much of an HMI

Last edited: