PLC 5/40 to P5/40 Scanner/Adpter

controlconcepts

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have searched and searched but am still a little lost. I have setup a successful P5/40 CH 2A as a Remote I/O Adapter to a 1747-SN and has been working fine

( other than the first write word is wrong the rest of the data of 8 words 7 words are ok ODD? ) {like if the first word 1 is [0 it shows up as 512 on the scanner end] or [1213 it shows up as = 1725 on the scanner end] } odd but the rest of the 7 words works. So there is something wrong with that, and I am wondering if that is the reason I am having a tough time comprehending how to setup RIO to RIO from one PLC 5 to another. I must be missing something. Do you create a rack in the IO config or use block transfers? And If you use block transfers like it shows in the channel config BTW Control BTR Control. What is the module type? I just cant find any examples or manual that shows how to do this . I know it is possible but just need some direction.?!!

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Let's make sure we know what sort of devices we're talking about here. Use complete names if you can.

The 1747-SN is an SLC-500 family RIO scanner, so there must be a SLC controller here as the scanner.

And you're using a PLC-5/40 controller with a channel configured as an Adapter.

The connection is working correctly, so it should be moving 8 words of data from the SLC I/O table to and from the PLC-5 N70:0 and N70:10 data tables.

If you are also firing Block Transfers on the SLC side, that is probably where the unusual data is coming from; block transfers use the low byte of the first word of a discrete connection to multiplex data.

Last edited:
The PLC-5 Adapter channel configuration was uncommon even in the PLC-5's heyday, so it's not going to be well understood in the Forum or at Tech Support.

If you need to move more than the 8 words of data In and 8 words Out, you'll need to use Block Transfers on the SLC side.

I'm not familiar with the Block Transfer addressing on the PLC-5 side; I'd have to get out the User Manual and start researching.

So first, let's figure out how much data you want to transfer between the controllers.

Yes Ken but I am not using Block Transfers I don't know hoe to set that up??? The channel configuration I posted is how it is configured with the discreet transfer Input and Output. My main concern I s that I need to send FAST RIO { when It happens It happens in the other Processor} So RIO.
PLC 5/40e A to PLC 5/40e B need to use one as an adaptor and one as a scanner..

Thanks Ken

I need about 32 words. What uersr manual would you recommend? I can't find anything from Rockwell or the web! I must not be looking hard enough. I am the type of guy that would rather get the manual and read it all!! and learn more than what I need to know to get the problem solved. An walk away with more but I have bad times trying to find the manuals. I must not know how to search the WEB LOL..

Thanks again Ken

The earlier statement about a 1747-SN must have been a mistake, or a reference to a different project, then.

If you aren't using Block Transfers, then I cannot explain why the first word data appears incorrect. Please check both of your controller programs for any block transfers that might be mis-addressed to this Rack.

The two best manuals for the PLC-5 are the Instruction Set Reference and the PLC-5 Enhanced and Ethernet Controllers User Manual.

They might be installed along with RSLogix 5 as online help these days, but they are definitely also on the RA Literature website.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1785-rm001_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um012_-en-p.pdf

There is a detailed example of using PLC-5 Adapter Mode in the RA Knowledgebase, Article ID # 17673 (TechConnect Required).

The first eight words are going to be what transfers fast; that's going to run as fast as the RIO network can be scanned. I'd estimate about 3 ms per Rack.

Since you need more data than that, you're going to have to use Block Transfers. I haven't done that in many years so I'll have to do some research if I want to try to give advice.

This kind of connection is one of the reasons that PLC-5's got ControlNet back in the late 1990s... Adapter Mode wasn't cutting it.

WOW Thanks Ken!! You are an inexhaustible fountain of knowledge!!! * words FAST would be great the rest is not pertaining to speed. And yes the first statement was the fact that I had probably setup the transfer wrong&& As that was the only way to get data thru fast. The only way I could get it configured, And to WORK at the time and has just been left{as Is}.. But would liken to know how to do it properly!!

Thanks Yet Again Ken,
Matt

YA Thanks Ken but I bet I need the TechCo$$ect Manual is the one I need to clarify my situation. Guess I need to Bu$k $P

Thnak's Again ken