Red Lion G3 & Ultra 3000 servo drive

cstidham

Working on a new project where I'm trying to use a Ultra 3000i servo drive and a Red Lion G3 servo to be do the following:

1. Feed material automatically at some length and speed which can be inputted by the operator using the Red Lion G3 terminal. This part was easy enough to get working by setting up index 0 and executing with input #2.
2. Allow operator to use a handheld two button switch to jog the material in out of the machine during setup.

Line 2 is the part I'm having problems with. I can set up new index's to be able to jog the servo forward and backwards and can manually use the 'indexing control panel' to get this function to work. The problem is that I have been unable to get the input's from the two hand switch to be able to call say index '3' and '4' to execute the jog functions.

Can anybody give me some assistance on how to make the second function work? I haven't tried using the 'project' function of the program that uses the 'c' source code but that is what I'm going to investigate next.

Are you initiating the jog moves from PLC hardwired outputs, or are you attempting to use the Red Lion communications to do this? I've used the Red Lion/Ultra 3000 combination extensively, but only for parameter modification, not actual motion commands. To trigger motion over the serial port it looks like you'd have to use the Host Index (C0B8) and Start Index (C070) commands. I assume you know that for jogging the Start Index bit needs to be held on, not just pulsed.

Something else to keep in mind... if you have the "Indexing Control Panel" open in Ultraware, the drive will not respond to external commands. Even if you quit Ultraware, if you didn't close the Control Panel window first, the drive will remain in manual mode and cannot be controlled externally. Close all windows in Ultraware and make sure the Software Enable is on.

The apllication is for a servo feed for a stamping press. We are about an hour south of Louisville. We have the feeder working but entering the distance (count) value manually into the Ultra 3000 using a pc. Would really like to get the communications working with the G3.

I am out of Louisville.

I have done several feeders with Red Lion 306A. You can do the length, speed, accel & decel from the G3.
I would share the program but I had to sign a non disclosure of intellectual property. The customer paid me to design it just for them.

It was supper easy.

I will try and point you in the right direction. I don't tell anyone what they are doing wrong, maybe just a different way of doing it.

PM me