FactoryTalk Security Basic Setup

sanger

We have RSLogix 5000 installed on a common PC for maintenance. User with Administrator rights can open the application without problems however users without Administration rights get a prompt to log onto FactoryTalk first.

Without giving every user Administrator rights is there a way to permit all users to run RSLogix 5000. I tried adding the users Windows accounts to the FactoryTalk Users group as Windows-Linked Users without any change. I even added the users to the Administrators group within FactoryTalk (but not within Windows). No success.

AFAIK most Rockwell programming products like Logix / Studio 5000 still need admin level access to function properly.

If this is just a programming / maintenance machine then giving admin access to verified users should not be a big issue unless your programming machine is connected to the corporate LAN or if your programming pc is locked down by the IT dept. If so you have bigger problems than admin access anyway.

Sanger,

Even if you added the users to the FactoryTalk Users group, you still need to set the security settings in the Product Policy through the Administration Console.

By default, Administrators are set up to have all access, and anyone else has restricted access (All Users). Also you need to be aware "where" they are logging in from: FT Security will discriminate where one is using the application.

Here is a screenshot of my admin console. Go to this screen to edit your security settings for Logix5000 and make sure you specify a rule for your non-admin user groups.

If you can post various screenshots of your configuration I may be able to provide more specific advice.

Always be careful setting "Deny" permissions as they take precedence over "Allow," so anyone in multiple groups might inadvertently get denied access to certain functions.

To Access Logix5000 policy, go to:

Policies --> Product Policy --> RSLogix 5000
Right Click RSLogix5000 and click "Configure Feature Security"

I have included a screenshot of the RSLogix5000 Policy settings, but also included a configuration I have for AssetCentre, just to give you an example.

Remember, if you don't specify a group other than administrators, no one else will be able to access Logix.

Alternatively, you could disable Factory Talk Security or remove said laptop from the FactoryTalk Directory if you don't need FT Security (I have seen some enable it by mistake).

Logix5000.jpg AssetCentre.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got it to work. I had to make the changes to the Network Directory rather than the Local Directory. This is a stand-alone laptop so I'm surprised it defaulted to a Network Directory setup.

That is interesting, typically one needs to specifically set it up and tell it to use the Network Directory to enable security.

Either way, glad you got it working.

A little insight...

As of version 20, if you do not logon as admin, you get a Factory Talk login popup. Open a version 19 program on the same machine, no popup. This is with no security configured.

Mellis,

I'm running version 20 and 21, I don't get any pop-ups, and my laptop is registered on a FT Directory.

However we are not using FT Security in the PLC so this may be why.