Configuring a message instruction in Logix5000

zxninja

When you configure a message to be sent to another controllogix processor via ENET, does it operate on the "producer/consumer" concept? Meaning, if I write a local tag to a specific remote tag, does the receiving processor need to have a read message "looking" for the tag in the ENET "highway"?
I am working off line and want to make sure I have my message set up properly. In the communications part of the message set up, I am using an Enet modue for my path. The local module is IP address 142.222.13.31., and that is the address I used. I am looking to send this tag to another unit with an IP address of 142.222.13.24. When I configure the message on the recievers end, is it just looking fo the sent tag via its local IP address?

There are two different ways CLX processors can communicate:

1. Producer/Consumer uses scheduled I/O connections, exactly the same as a processor talking to an I/O module. This is the fast deterministic method.

2. Or you can use a MSG instruction to Read/Write to the other processor. This is not producer/consumer. There is no need to set up a corresponding MSG in the other processor. All that you need to do is set up the path correctly and the CIP protocol (the system behind all CLX data transfer) will correctly route to the destination.

When you configure a MSG instruction, you specify these details on the Communication tab. Make sure you look up the Help file to see how the path is specified.

Also check this KnowledgeBase link:

CIP Path Summary

Just want to add a little to PhilipW's post:

Produced-consumed:
you need to put concumer CPU in the IO configuration as well as both ENET modules - only on consumer side.
On producer side - just set tag as producer, nothing in IO tree.

Message: as PhilipW said you program only in one program because you specify source and target tags in one instruction.
Path: you don't have to put second CPU in IO tree:

Let say ENET-1 on sending side in slot 5, CPU-2 on receiving side in slot 3:
Path will be: 1,5,2,142.222.13.24,1,3

1,5 - form CPU-1 via backplane to slot 5 ENET-1
2,142.222.13.24 - from ENET-1 to IP address of ENET-2
1,3 - from ENET-2 via backplane to CPU-2

Replace 5 and 3 with your slots and you done.
This is it.

Last edited: