Programming SLC500 Allen Bradley

Buscom

Hello,

I am currently working on a project whose topic is communication between an electronic map and SLC500 Allen Bradley.

the communication is made by DeviceNet and the electronic card communicates via RS232.

I'm in the choice of components and I have a doubt in the choice of housing DeviceNet communication. Can you tell me what case is best suited for this communication? between the 1770KFD(Rockwell) and the CDN366 (Mks instrument)?

Hello,

I don't believe that the 1770KFD can be used as you need. It's link the RS232 using DF1 protocol) port of a computer to the devicenet but not an output/input device.

Thank you for your answer , so therefore you think it would be better to use the CDN366(Mks instruments)?

Hello,

Yes but, I don't know what eletronic card you want to link to this DeviceNet network and with the CDN366, you have to use DeviceNet Messaging to comunicate. Don't you have another way to link this card to your PLC using RS232 ?

Hello,

indeed, it is an RS232 port electronic card with a DSP.

DSP contains data to be transmitted to the SLC 500 Allen Bradley PLC. and the communication protocol is devicenet.
except for the case of communication CDN366 and 1770 KFD, I have not found other housing RS232 to DeviceNet

i am confused what protocol does the electronic map use?

The are several options to communicate to external devices with SLC 500.... Prosoft card etc

The 1770-KFD is for communication between RSLinx and RSNetworx software and the network. It is not built for I/O communications and is not appropriate for this application.

The CDN-366 is a very good RS-232 to DeviceNet interface. I wrote the original application examples for using its predecessor (CDN-066) with the 1747-SDN scanner card ten years ago.

There are other RS-232 to DeviceNet interfaces on the market, like the Western Reserve Controls 1782-JDC and the HMS Anybus Communicator.

If you can post some information about the serial interface protocol, Forum members may be able to assist you further.

Depending of the version of your SLC500's (5/03, 5/04 or 5/05) CPU and the protocol of your card, you also can directly connect it to the channel 0 of your CPU. Another possibility is to use a basic card (1746-BAS) in your PLC rack (but this would be expensive and need to develop a software in basic).

As said previously by Ken Roach, if you can give more information...

To jimtech67, Ken Roach and Jean-Luc:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

In fact, my card is an electronic card with a Texas Instrument DSP. and it uses an RS232 serial link.

The exchanges are between SLC503 Allen Bradley PLC and the electronic card via devicenet network.

the controller is programmed by RSLogix500 software on my PC. the controller sends queries to the electronic card and the card meets the PLC.

the box that I am currently research is a box of communication to convert DeviceNet (allen bradley) to RS232(electronic card PCB). but I do not know which is best suited? 1770KFD? CDN366? or Western Reserve Controls 1782-JDC?

If you can describe the serial protocol to the 'electronic card' in more detail, you can get a better recommendation.

An example of the serial data stream would be great.

Is the protocol a pure binary protocol, or is it expressed in ASCII ?

Is it a poll/response protocol, or an unsolicited data stream ?

How large are the data frames ? Do they vary in size ?

Do the data frames end in an error checking value, or with a delimiter value like CR or LF ?

I'm asking these questions because each of the devices I've mentioned have different capabilities. For example, the HMS Communicator can directly decode some CRC values at the end of a frame, while the 1782-JDC requires an ASCII delimiter.

Hello,

thank you for your reply,

in fact, concerning the electronic card, there is no flow control on the port of communication.

the number of bits that are sent in the frame containing the information are 8 bits

it is a binary protocol.

the card has a pluggable module on which there is a male DB9 connector.

Can you help me with this details?

It would be better to have more information.

Based on the information you have posted so far, my recommendation is the HMS Fieldbus 'Communicator' device.

I do not recommend the 1782-JDC because it is meant for ASCII protocols and works best with ASCII delimiters like CR and LF.

I have not used the CDN366 for several years and do not recall all of its features. You may wish to consider it.

If you can provide more information about the protocol used by your serial device, it would help improve the recommendations from the Forum.

hello,

thank you for your reply,

About HMS Fieldbus 'Communicator' device you recommend for my devicenet communication protocol between my electronic card and my SLC500 Allen Bradley, I looked at the documentation of HMS and I saw that there was several models including the HMS AB7001-B. Do you think this model could be the best fit for my project? I am in France, where do you think can I buy it?
for more information, my electronic card is equipped with a DSP from Texas Instrument. DSP contains the data to be transmitted to the PLC. the card is equipped with a pluggable module and RS232 connection with a male DB9 port and capacitor. PLC is an Allen Bradley SLC 500 that communicates with DeviceNet

Regarding CDN366 of Mks instruments, I saw that for the set, you need the 1770KFD Allen Bradley module. therefore, is that if I chose to use the 366 CDN as a communication module in my project, I will have also to buy 1770KFD for configuration? this will not be you it moin profitable for me? What do you think?

thank you

Hello,

On the CDN366 documentation, the 1770KFD is just used to link configure your deviceNet network to a PC for configuration with RSnetworks for DeviceNet

The HMS AB7001 seems to act as DF1 too, so I think that RSLinx work with it and you will be able to configure your network with it. But, after when using for messages, in case of trouble on your network, it will not be easy for commissionning.

Did you try to contact HMS france for more informations on their products ? http://www.anybus.fr/company/france.shtml

(if they are not in holidays.....)