FactoryTalk View Studio -Tutorials?

xC0MMAND0x

I am learning to use FactoryTalk View Studio, and I am wondering if there is somewhere I can find tutorial videos? I was able to find tons of resources for RSLogix5000 on Youtube and through their documentation, but now I'm trying to pair up the HMI with everything as I'm new.

Any links/tips/references?

Thanks!

I've finished my first ME application - it went really well! My next project is going to be using the SE edition. My understanding is that these are designed to run off traditional computers as opposed to integrated solution options such as panelview.

I'm trying to understand the difference between the different SE options. I think I'm getting some of the terminology mixed up. Can you help clear up the 3 different SE editions for me please?

SE (Local Station) - This is essentially a standalone version that houses all of it's own tags, info and doesn't communicate with any other computers on the network.

SE (Network Station) - Not really sure how this is different than Network Distributed?

SE (Network Distributed) - This is where there is a central server that houses the main HMI and then all of the other thin clients can connect into it via terminal server?

Thank you for the help.

I've finished my first ME application - it went really well! My next project is going to be using the SE edition. My understanding is that these are designed to run off traditional computers as opposed to integrated solution options such as panelview.

I'm trying to understand the difference between the different SE options. I think I'm getting some of the terminology mixed up. Can you help clear up the 3 different SE editions for me please?

SE (Local Station) - This is essentially a standalone version that houses all of it's own tags, info and doesn't communicate with any other computers on the network.

SE (Network Station) - Not really sure how this is different than Network Distributed?

SE (Network Distributed) - This is where there is a central server that houses the main HMI and then all of the other thin clients can connect into it via terminal server?

Thank you for the help.

SE Station:

Right it's basically all self contained. The HMI server and client is all built-in. Similar to RSView32 in that each station is isolated.

SE Station Network

Similar to SE Station, but allows a connection to the distributed FT Directory. The purpose of this edition is primarily a connection to FT Historian.

SE Distributed:

Right. There is a central HMI server, a data server and Alarm & Events server, and a FT Directory. These can be on one server or many. All can be redundant except for the FT Directory. The clients are another piece of software that are the visual part of the system. They host VBA scripting too.

I'm still getting a little confused between Network Station and Network Distributed.

With Network Station, the application still runs locally, it is just tied into a network so it can communicate with other devices? What machine hosts the Factory Talk Directory? Is there a "server" in this sense, or a "main" machine?

With the distributed edition, doesn't all of the processing happen on the main server, and the "stations" essentially are just displays pulling in information from the server?

Thank you for the help so far!

Network Station was created so that it could talk to a distributed FT directory, primarily so that it could display trends and such from FT Historian.

The station basically works like the distributed, except everything is hosted on one machine. There is a server and client and a FT directory. It's just on one box. It can't connect to a network FT Directory. It's also a pain because Studio has to be installed on that box to do editing. With distributed, Studio can be installed on a separated machine.

The clients are more than thin. They do get their info from the server, but the trends run locally as does the VBA code.

I think that makes sense. After I work on this next project I'm sure it will all come together. I've definitely been learning a lot these last few weeks at my new job (I'm fresh out of college).

Being that my first project with was ME, and now I'm working with SE, do you have any tips or recommendations? It seems from what I've heard that ME is really just SE's little underpowered brother, and that SE is a lot more powerful.