Crimson 3.0 doesn't see UDT array tags from RSL5k

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am setting up a program for a G315 that will interface with an A-B CompactLogix processor. I have imported the necessary native tags from my RSLogix 5000 program via Red Lion TNOI39. All of my imported tags are arrays of various type (BOOL, DINT, Real, UDT). According to this tech note UDT tags are supported. However, none of my UDT arrays come through.

For the sake of detail, one of my UDTs consists of three DINT and three BOOL elements. The other UDT is 9 DINTs. Each of these arrays is 100 elements long.

What needs done to bring theses arrays into the HMI?

Thanks in advance.

I had issues with Crimson working with Alias tags. I couldn't get it to work at all. I ended up mapping the tags to the I/O in the program to get it to work. I wouldn't be surprised if UDT's were having issues too.

To test I would set the Poll Interval to 1500ms and see if you get the tags to show up. That is how I found the Alias tag issues. The screen would show a 1 for a second or 2 and then go to 0 after that.

Thanks Bullzi. I saw your tale of woe posted while I was searching for answers and will avoid alias tags. o_O

I'll also be sure to set the poll interval once I get a physical HMI to test.

BTW, I'm using V2.00 of the L5K driver and I've e-mailed Red Lion as per your past experience.

RonJohn,
That is the driver I was using too. You don't want to keep the poll interval that slow. I found it very annoying and extremely slow. I just did that to test my hypothesis that the driver was not working properly.

OK. I've realized that I'm a dummy.;)

I can bring in an array of UDT into Crimson. Unlike all other arrays, I cannot get away with adding on the tag as an array. Because it is a UDT, I have to click on each sub-element of every element in that UDT array that will be used in the program.

So, technically, I can see it. However, this means I would have to add 1500 more tags to my available address list since there are 600 total elements in one tag and 900 in the other. That's very cumbersome.

Unless someone knows a better workaround, it appears I'm better off working with only arrays of standard data type and manipulating all of the data within the PLC code if I'm going to stick with Red Lion.

If you have so many tags in each UDT, and if you are using those UDTs very frequently, it would worth your time to find a way to (automatically) create a Crimson tags file from your L5K file (or from a file that you may have listing all the PLC tags for those UDTs). Among other things that you may want to add to your Crimson tags, you have to add the source data.
Once you have that file created, you just import it.

Easier to say than done, I know...