Red Lion to Siemens S5

Liam Moran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer with 2 machines each with a Siemens S5 115U with CPU 943B. Each machine has a Systeme Lauer LCA 245 message display type HMI, both of which are now defunct due to a bodged repair.I am thinking of installing 2 G3 Kadett units, and I have a few questions:
1. Can I use the siemens programming cable 6ES5 934 1BD20 to connect HMI-PLC?
2. Does this HMI support transparent communication for programming the PLC?
3. Am I mad? :)

Question 1)Never worked with the cadet but you can connect to a S5 using the AS511 protocol on the G3 series.

Question 2) No as far as I know it does not support Pass Thru programing for the S5

Question 3) Considering what you do for a living the answer is yes

answer 3 is correct, 115u's are reasonably small, I'd say small enough to replace with a new PLC, possibly a S7-1200.

I thought about suggesting that. If you he does go with a S7-1200 the G3 can talk to that one as well via ethernet.

I have used the S5-LAN++ to connect to a 943 to a Simatic HMI(KTP1000) a couple of years ago. With this box, you get S7TCP protocol on ethernet instead of serial AS511. It can multiplex the comms. with a programmer PC as well, with a virtual COM port driver that was included.
This 943-CPU had 2 interfaces, the extra one (to the left) was an L1-interface. I tried to connect the HMI with the S5LAN on both, and it worked OK. I don't think you can program with the L1 interface though.

You can get the S5LAN box from several vendors, here is where I bought 'mine'.
http://www.process-informatik.de/produkte/s5-lan&lang=en_&mt=1

Kalle

1. No, the pinout on the kadet is not standard. Which kadet are you thinking of using?
2. Sorry this is not possible