AssetCentre Client error

majabat

Hello everybody,

I've installed AssetCentre Client (AC-C) and I can't make it run on my PC. I start AC-C, I log in with my user and password and after several minutes an error appears (I attach a screenshot and the log of the error). Hope someone that had this same problem (or very similar) could help me.

I've tried logging in using my user and password on another PC and I had no problem at all, so there is no problem with my user.
I can also access the server from my PC, so the connection between my PC and the server it seems that it's not the problem.

I'm using:
AssetCentre Client version: 4.10.00
Build: 39
Running on: VMware player 5.0.2
Network connection on VMware player: NAT

I've tried installing AC-C with a fresh copy of Windows XP (no other program installed previously) and with most of the Rockwell Software I use, and in both opportunities the same error appeared.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mat

Error AssetCentre.jpg

Attachments

• Error_1_FactoryTalkDiagnostics_17_07_13.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Error_2_FactoryTalkDiagnostics_17_07_13.txt
    28.1 KB · Views: 4
Make sure the Windows Firewall is OFF on both the Guest AND the Host FTAC client operating systems.
While on the troublesome client machine, verify that the Host and Guest NICs (Network Connections) do not use Proxies connectivity (IE/Properties/Connections/LAN Settings).
Also, on the FTAC Server machine, make sure that the Rockwell Software Firewall port is open (the ports used by the FTAC Server application are listed within the Install package).
I would disable any Firewall on both the Server and client machines until mitigating the client issue.

Last edited:
Dmargineau,
Thanks for your reply.

I finally solved the problem.

I was using NAT, and changed it to Bridged Mode on the Network configuration of the VM Player.
I also connected my Notebook "directly" to the network (cable connection), and turned off the Wi-Fi adapter.

Now that my AssetCentre Client works, I'll need to do a little research on how to connect via Wi-Fi.

I have run into the exact same issue with the same build of FTAC with the same symptoms/errors.

I am able to open client on my Host Os via WIFI, but not on my WinXP VM. I ended up working around by installing FTAC*on the Host and setting the Working Folder as a shared folder.

After several calls with different members of the FTAC tech support group that bore no fruit, I was finally told that at RA they connect their VM's to their networks through bridged LAN connections, and that they don't officially support FTAC inside a VM over WIFI.
I even went through the firewall port list on client and server and found no closed or unavailable ports. Pretty frustrating, as I really wanted to leave AssetCentre off of my host os.

If you ever find a solution to this problem, I would very much like to hear it.

AssetCentre Installation / Licensing / Rant

Boy I'm glad I discovered this great forum where like-minded folks can talk!

Gentlemen, I am going down the same road right now; we just got AC installed on one of our servers (VM) but are stalled due to lack of licenses. The server requires one seat to run. I'll share what we learn here about AC when we get past this point since I'll be the point man for client installs and workflow procedures. We are an OEM and are looking to make the 'assets' PLC projects, so it will be more of an archive tool rather than a revision control running at an actual manufacturing plant.

Interesting side note - IT was supposed to install 3 of our 10 licenses on our flex license server. The remainder are node-locked for the full time software developers. We 'lost' some licenses so Rockwell ran a report for us to show HD serial numbers and Host IDs for each license in use. Our server has FIVE licenses rather than 3, IT dept is not co-operating even though I sent them our RA tech support wallet card and offered to go over there and look at it with them... Even offered to call tech support for them. Grrrr our company hates the automation division (which is us) o_O cuz we are a 'small' part of the entire Company... And I'm always extra nice to IT because its such an interesting part of the organization and pairs well with controls (when they want to!)

... Sometimes the 'people' part of the job is trickier than the automation part! :unsure: