AB MicroLogix field downloading

JerseyJim

Greetings All!

We are looking for a simpler method of providing field techs with PLC updates (ML 1400, et al) and the means to download to a PLC in the field. Currently we use a fully licensed MicroLogix 500 and have to be physically or virtually connected to the PLC to download an update. Some sites have VPN gateways which is useful for remote updating. However most are not connected and require the physical presence of an engineer and his licensed PC to update.

I have looked at the Memory Module solution but programming the MM still requires a PLC and ML software. In addition, we would have to ship the module to the field tech. The delay, even with overnight FedEx, is not practical.

Ideally I would like to email the PLC/RSS program to a field tech and have him update the PLC without having to own a full version of Micrologix 500/5000. There are several field techs/operators and providing everyone with fully licensed laptops would be prohibitively expensive.

Is there an AB software package (Lite, etc.) that would support simple downloading? Even better would be a command line option allowing for standardized scripts (Python, Ruby, etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would talk this over with your local AB rep. You can have networked licenses that your service guys can checkout and return. AB has created all kinds of schemes for doing this.

I would talk this over with your local AB rep. You can have networked licenses that your service guys can checkout and return. AB has created all kinds of schemes for doing this.

I second this. I love the concurrent licensing scheme. You don't have to worry about Master Disks or anything. It actually saves quite a bit of money because you're only buying the minimum number of licenses you need for each person using the software at the same time, as opposed to one license per desktop or laptop. Plus, there's a 7 day grace period if you find yourself disconnected from the network, so you only really need to check out a license if you're going somewhere far away and can't connect to your employer's network for a week or more.