Firmware problem in L55 in a redundancy system

hanyrag

hello all can anyone help me with this case

first i need to know is the update firmware of the CPU in a redundant system needs also an update of the CNB module and SRM module in the system.

if yes; i need to know which firmware is compatible with CNBR/E module rev11: if i have old system of 1756-L55 rev13 and CNBR/D modules rev 3.3 and SRM modules rev 5.2

first thanx dmargineau
second i need a website that i can get a free frimware as mentioned for cnbr/d 7.13 and SMR 4.6 as i think i couldnt download this firmwares from AB official website for free.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/firmware/overview.page?
Choose Controllers > ControlLogix; pick your L55 type and then in the right hand column pick Rev. 15.061.
After downloading the CPU firmware, within the same web page, under Product Search, search for 1756-CNBR;within the right column chose the proper series and above listed firmware level, download it and then search for 1756-SRM and download the applicable firmware package.
You should also read the tutorials for the ControlFlash Firmware upgrades procedure and also the firmware packages' .pdf releases.

Last edited:
First: Firmware download support is not free. You must have a Rockwell Automation TechConnect contract to download firmware. There are no authorized or unauthorized external 'free' sources for Rockwell Automation firmware.

Why do you think you have to upgrade your Redundancy system firmware ?

Your first question was whether an upgrade of the CPU required an update of the 1757-SRM and 1756-CNB modules.

The answer is that it does: Every Redundancy firmware revision has a very specific set of required firmware.

You did not specify what firmware revision you planned to update to. You were advised that your CPU hardware only supports version 13 and version 15 Redundancy.

Your second question was which Redundancy system firmware is compatible with 1756-CNB/E firmware version 11. Dmargineau correctly gave you a link to the compatible firmware release notes for ControlLogix Redundancy release v15.

Only the modules that are physically in the chassis with the ControlLogix CPUs and the -SRM Redundancy Modules need to have the specific compatible firmware.

A 1756-CNB module that is in a remote chassis does not require a specific firmware revision. All firmware revisions of the 1756-CNB will work in remote chassis with ControlLogix Redundancy.

i need to see the CNBR/E on a 1756-L55 rev 13; the problem is i cannt see it.
as i found on manual cnbr/e couldnt be seen on 1756-l55 rev 13 and as i tried to change the controller from the software only to rev 15 i could see CNBR/e on the I/O library.
so i need to upgrade the firmware from 13 to 15 on the cpu 1756-L55 which i couldnt find except 1756-l55m13 -i think it the same and that is a guess-on the firmwares on AB free download official site.

so do i have a problem to upgrade the CPU only or i need to upgrade the SRM and CNBR module also

i need to see the CNBR/E on a 1756-L55 rev 13; the problem is i cannt see it.

I think that you mean that you want to be able to select a 1756-CNBR/E module in the I/O tree of the RSLogix 5000 project.

Do you need to replace one of the 1756-CNBR modules in the chassis with one of the redundant ControlLogix, or do you need to replace a 1756-CNBR module in one of the I/O chassis ?

Only the 1756-CNBR modules that are actually in the chassis with the 1756-L55 and the 1757-SRM modules need to be the compatible versions for the Redundancy firmware release.

I think you may have found an un-maintained or unofficial firmware download website (Rockwell Software used to have one). There is no 'free' download website for ControlLogix firmware.

in much details:
1. Old system.. redundancy
2X 4slot rack have [CPU L55...rev13]+ [CNBR/D FW 4.3]+[SRM FW3.3]
2X 10slot racks having [CNBR/D] + I/O modules
2 new added system of:
2X 10 slot racks having [CNBR/E] + I/Os modules

the problem i cannt add CNBR/E module as the CPU rev is 13 not 15 and when i upload the program from the CPU and change the CPU to rev. 15 i do see it and add the modules and when i try to download the program to the cpu message popup : you cannt download this program as the cpu have another firmware.

so i m asking for:
1.L55 firmware package [CPU , CNBR/D ,SRM]
2.does L55 is L55M13 or not?
3.a nonofficial site to get L55 firmware as i didnt find the L55 firmware on AB official website just incase [L55 firmware is different from L55MXX]

The 1756-L55 controller had modular memory. The M11, M12, M13, M16 versions were ordinary RAM, and the M22, M23, M24 versions had nonvolatile RAM.

The same firmware runs in each model of the 1756-L55 controller.

L55_Firmware_1371.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting those details.

Because you are adding the 1756-CNB/E modules to your ControlNet network in remote I/O chassis and not to the chassis that contain the 1756-L55 controllers and 1757-SRM modules, they do not have to match the Redundancy system compatible firmware.

You can use the new 1756-CNBR/E modules with the existing 1756-L55 Version 13 Redundancy firmware.

When you create the new ControlNet module in your I/O tree, there is no selection for the 1756-CNBR/E (as you have described).

Instead, select the 1756-CNBR/D module and choose either "Compatible Keying" or "Disabled Keying".

You are certainly welcome to obtain the v15 Redundancy bundle and upgrade your system firmware and software.

But it is not necessary to do so in order to install and commission these new I/O chassis.

CNBR_D_Keying.png

Last edited: