FT View Studio Question

Bbarnett

I'm wondering if it's possible to test an application in its entirety without any external connections to a PLC.

What I'd like to do is run all the demo applications without any errors solely on my computer to understand how and why things work the way they do. They have a lab on creating the "InstantFizz_ME" but it requires programs I don't have access to (yet) such as SoftLogix and RsLogix.

Any help is appreciated.

Not really; you have to remember that any HMI project is merely an interface with one or several CPU running applications; the vast majority of any HMI application's components are linked to tags/addresses within the connected CPU controller(s)' memory; their state/value/image/color/animation, etc depend of the state of the PLC to HMI (HMI User Software) connection.
You will need at least the CPU user software, a CPU application file the HMI application will "connect" to and the corresponding Emulator running the controller application file; for Logix systems, Logix5000 Emulator could run the CPU application file within the PC running FTVS.

Simplist thing I find to do is just hook up a PLC and run the emulator with my tags pointing toward it. Trying to run a PLC emulator with the HMI emulator has always been a PITA for me.

You can use RSLogix Emulate 5, 500, or 5000 to test. The limitations will be with the emulation. Emulating 5000 is the easiest for most, but you can use 5 and 500 as well. With emulate 5 or 500, you will need to create an OPC server within studio, then create a topic in RSLinx. I usually name the OPC server the same as the shortcut you already have created in Linx Enterprise, that way there is no other prep work. There are some published guides out there for this. If you have the emulate software, which I'm guessing you don't, and you want some more details let me know.

James

These files should guide you. If you don't have a physical processor, or a virtual one, then you won't be able to test thoroughly. If you just want to play around, create some internal HMI tags and manipulate those values during runtime, you could also create some macros that could change values.

James