RS232 communiation

mowgli

Hi All,

I am using Experion PKS SCADA(Honeywell). I want to communicate SCADA with RS-232 device( User defined protocol) directly. I checked the device is communicating by using hyperterminal and also understood that I have to write a VB script in SCADA to communicate with device. I am new to VB script.
What type of ActiveX control I should use and script. Is there is any other method to communicate SCADA and Third party device(RS-232) by using user defined protocol.

Please help me to solve the problem...

Thankyou..

...and don't forget RS-232 is officially supported by no more than Fifty, Five-Zero (50) Feet of cable.

RS232 communication (User defined protocol)

Hi Mickey,

That thirdy party device VECCO ION SOURCE CONTROLLER and it has RS-232 port and it support Serial communication protocol. Please find the attached file for more details about the thirdy party device.

In Experion SCADA many protocols are there like 1.7800 Flame Safegaurd,2.Allen-Bradely,3.Applicom,4.ASEA,5.OPC,6.MODBUS,7.Universal Modbus and etc... But i didn't get right one for serial communication (user defined protocol).

The protocol appears to be ASCII. Surely your SCADA system supports that.

Note: I'm not familiar with your SCADA software.

Hi JHarbin,

Can't we use a ActiveX control to communicate with the third party device using VB script..

I've never done that so I can't say. However, I would not want to rely on VB Script for a robust communications activity.

The User Defined Protocol driver will allow you to build a comms driver for your device. The other option is to buy something like the Kepware U-Con driver and build your own. That is assuming you have the ability to use OPC with Experion - I can't remember if OPC Client is standard or an option.

Mickey,

Thanks for the reply, I have never tried this type of communication before, I am not getting any idea. Anyway i will check with all the protocol which is supported by Experion SCADA.
"trail and error method"

I've never done that so I can't say. However, I would not want to rely on VB Script for a robust communications activity.

The User Defined Protocol driver will allow you to build a comms driver for your device. The other option is to buy something like the Kepware U-Con driver and build your own. That is assuming you have the ability to use OPC with Experion - I can't remember if OPC Client is standard or an option.

In my SCADA i saw one option called OPC client interface. But never used OPC before.