Free Software

It is not free (unless you use unix or Mac OSX and want to combile the binaries yourself) but I have found an inexpensive useful 2d package for simple stuff at

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

I ponied up my $26 as it seemd well worth it to me. Like any package, there is a little getting used to it but for simple stuff it's great.

MS Paint that comes with windows is free. Once you create one
or two symbols (...or drawing sets!) you will probably be more
flexible when it comes to spending some money on essential tools.

:D

panic mode said:
MS Paint that comes with windows is free.

You say that like you're joking. I've been told about a guys who does drawings in Excel. I haven't seen how it's done, but I think it involves zooming WAAAAY out, turning off borders, and using fill patterns.

If anyone has actually seen it, I'd like to know.

AK

It can be very expensive saving money. Skimping on tools (and CAD is a tool) is usually the poorest sort of economy. Unless you are a hobbyist or a student with no course work deadlines you are better off spending a little money and getting an entry level professional drawing package. There is AutoCAD light, Visio, DesignCAD, and I'm sure many others out there.

We have a guy at work who has done many pages of electrical schematics using MS Paint. We bought him AutoCad Lt. but he still uses Paint.

I use Excel to do schematics very often. The company that I work for doesn't want to spend the money for a CAD program since I am the only one doing any drawing and it is normally just an addition to a circuit. The way that I do it is set the columns and rows the same size(like graph paper), open the drawing box and draw away. I have created a library of commonly used symbols and can copy paste them wherever I want. Also easy to email it since most everyone has Excel. Much easier than drawing by hand and not bad looking.

Dale

Believe it or not, but the state I live in (NSW) does all its rail network drawings in Excel. 1 cell is 100 metres of track.

Regards Alan Case

You could try here at:

www.openoffice.org

It is an 'office' package competative with MS office.

The drawing package is better than paint, even though it is not competing with CAD packages.

I use this at home cause I'm too stingy to pay for Office for my home PC.

Doug