Control Buffers M0 and M1

Brian

I have two SLC505's on my ethernet network. I want to pull information from a string file on one PLC and use the information in the second plc. How do I set this up? The documentation manual leads me to RIO Block Transfer but it is not clear to me. Can you explain how I need to approach this or at leat lead me to a site that can help clear this concept?

Instead of looking at the BTR/BTW instructions, Look at the MSG (message) instruction.

The M1/M0 files are memory locations not in the processor, but located in specialty cards, such as a RIO scanner.

If you are simply trying to get data from 1 SLC to the other that are on the same network, a MSG should do....

Post again if you need more help.

93lt1 said:
Instead of looking at the BTR/BTW instructions, Look at the MSG (message) instruction.

The M1/M0 files are memory locations not in the processor, but located in specialty cards, such as a RIO scanner.

If you are simply trying to get data from 1 SLC to the other that are on the same network, a MSG should do....

Post again if you need more help.

Brian's asking about ethernet, but this raises an interesting question... If I've got two SLC5xx, each with a RemoteIO scanner, can I use the MSG instruction to pass information through a RemoteIO connection? Based on my attempt to do a passthru from the ethernet port on a SLC505 to a RemoteIO network, I'd guess that this wouldn't work.

AK

Wrong tree ! Stop barking !

The MSG instruction doesn't work with the 1747-SN RIO scanner. It's just not like that. If you have two controllers, you'll have a 1747-DCM slave I/O card in the other chassis.... not where you want to go.

A MSG instruction can easily be sent from one controller to the other over Ethernet with a STring data type as the source and destination.

I'd recommend a Write from the originating controller, so you don't have to repeatedly perform a Read to find out if there's a new string.

Now, if I could just figure out how to successfuly attach bitmaps clipped from RSLogix 500 into the body of my posts.

BTW (By The Way) Ken-

He didnt say he has a 1747-SN. I said that the BTR/BTW is for a RIO scanner card, not for messaging between controllers..... Not sure of who you thought was barking up the wrong tree in your last post.

Unless you are referring to akreel, then, nevermind

Last edited:
I said that it looked like Brian was trying to communicate over ethernet, not RemoteIO... I didn't mean to confuse the issue.

I asked the question because I was curious.

AK

To be a little more thorough: you can use a MSG instruction directed toward Channel 1 to transmit a String data element from one SLC-5/05 to another.

[attachment]

msg_config.jpg