Allen Bradley 1203-USB anyone?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Anyone use the 1203-USB ? I am thinking about trying to make a aftermarket but want to make sure that there is still a demand for them, I don't think I will make the serial version

Thank you

Absoloutly do use the 1203-USB. It is the only way to connect to PWRFLX s that are not on a network. I recently had to purchase a new one as a shift mechanic at my plant thought he could use it to plug my laptop in to the dh-485 port of an old L40C AB PLC. He spent two hours trying to connect. Silly boy! Not oly cost our plant downtime but killed my 450$ 1203.

I would be very interested in getting one. I have been digging around the net for a few days now trying to find one or something similar for a reasonable price. I get into a lot of PowerFlex drives for repairs and some of them I have needed to communicate with at some level. I do hope that there is enough interest in this that you would go through the development and making of them.

Hello and thanks for the interest but I did not get enough response back so I did not start making them, if I can't sell x per month then its just not worth it

I have seen some on eBay but they are still not cheap

I figured as much seeing as this thread is about two months old and had only one response. I guess my search will continue though. Thanks for responding.

Anyone use the 1203-USB ? I am thinking about trying to make a aftermarket but want to make sure that there is still a demand for them, I don't think I will make the serial version

Thank you

Of course there is demand; even if networked, sometimes you will have to directly (SCANport) connect to "issues" drives.
Besides PowerFlex, I am using the 1203-USB to connect to "oldies" such as late firmware revision 1336 Plus II/Impact VFDs or 1395 DC drives.

Unlike most AB stuff it was closer to being reasonably priced (at only about $300 new) so I'm not sure you could compete with that and make it worth your while.