Micrologix 1100 to Intermec PM4i

spaceacealpha

I've been banging around trying to get the PLC to talk serially with the printer.

So far I've connected the ML1100 to hyperterminal and confirmed the lone command 'PF'. I'll see 'PF' pop up on the hyperterminal after using the AWT command. (If I sent 'PF^M^J' it starts a new line as expected)

I connect the same hyperterminal with the same cable to the printer. I confirm 'PF' is working. I type 'PF' and hit enter and the printer prints a label.

I connect the ML1100 to the printer and use the same AWT command and nothing happens.

I've tried several control characters. I've sent
PF
PF^M
PF^M^J
^BPF^C^M^J
^A1^BPF^C^M^J

Nothing seems to click. Can anyone help me out of this jam?

Thanks,
Darren

What type of connector does the Intermec printer have ?

I don't see how these three different connections can be done with the same cable, since the MicroLogix 1100 has only a Mini-DIN8 serial port connector.

I suspect this is just a Pin 2/3 swap issue. Try a null-modem adapter between the MicroLogix and the Intermec.

From the ML1100 to the PC is a 1761-CBL-AP00 connected to a serial cable to add length.

From the PC to the Intermec is the same serial cable.

From the ML1100 to the Intermec is a 1761-CBL-AP00 connected to the same serial connected to a straight thru gender bender (the Intermec is a 9 pin female port).

I am seeing the serial cable is straight through, not a null modem. I'm betting your right on the 2/3 wire orientation. I've checked the full series and it is going rom 2 to 3 yet the serial cable that works goes 2 to 2. I'm going to attempt to make a custom cable to emulate serial instead of null modem. I've included the spec sheet on both items. Wish me luck.

PM4i.jpg ML1100.jpg