Wiring Micrologix 1000 for a trainer

Shosh

So I recently purchased a micrologix 1000 1761-L16BWA from ebay to build a PLC trainer. Watching videos on the topic lead me to believe that the micrologix 1000 were 24vdc powered. But as you probably know, this model is AC powered, unknowing to me. So my question, Do I just hook up the first 2 terminals on the output side to Main line 120vac power? Then I see on the Input side, the first to terminals are labeled 24VDC(+)(-). So I assume that the unit rectifies AC and provides the 24VDC on the input side correct?

And lastly, in the output terminals, they are some sourcing terminals that are labeled VAC and VDC. Which one is it? do they source the mainline 120vac at the output?

Thanks, this is my first time posting here.

Do I just hook up the first 2 terminals on the output side to Main line 120vac power?

Yes , see link to the manual below.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf

So I assume that the unit rectifies AC and provides the 24VDC on the input side correct?

Yes 24vdc aux power, use it sparingly.

And lastly, in the output terminals, they are some sourcing terminals that are labeled VAC and VDC.

It means you can connect either AC or DC, see spec for load capabilities.

Yes , see link to the manual below.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf

Yes 24vdc aux power, use it sparingly.

It means you can connect either AC or DC, see spec for load capabilities.

thanks for the response.
Yes, I looked at the manual before posting, was just confused about the wiring diagram on page 2-11 on that particular manual. I see that they hooked up VAC to the first two terminals, but then I also see the same lines hooked up to O/0 as well with a contact relay. Just wondering if I could just wire the first two terminals for VAC and use the input terminals for PLC training with nothing to output. (Not sure if im being clear here, lmk if I'm not).

MicroLogix controllers can be confusing in how they mix I/O circuit types and groups of circuits. And the staggered terminals are nice and compact, but boy can they be confusing !

Let's focus on the 1761-L16BWA. As you've read and had confirmed, this model of MicroLogix 1000 has DC inputs (B), relay outputs (W), and is AC powered (A).

As Mickey mentioned, the +24V DC auxiliary supply is generated internally by the controller. Use it for inputs only; it only has a capacity of about 250 mA and it's easy to overload it and cause a controller fault or shutdown if you connect it to output loads.

Look at the diagram on page 2-10 of that user manual. It's trying to show the various options for how the I/O of the controller works, all in one diagram.

The Inputs are divided into two groups. You can connect them to the onboard 24V DC supply, or use an external supply. The diagram shows both.

The Outputs on this model of MicroLogix are all dry relay contacts.

That's why A-B labeled the source terminal for each relay "VDC VAC", to try to indicate that it doesn't matter if you use AC or DC because it's just a dry contact inside.

Outputs 0, 1, 2, 3 are all a single contact with individual terminals.

Outputs 4 and 5 share the same common terminal. This was done, as far as I know, just to save on screw terminal space.

The user manual illustrates control relays on outputs 0, 3, 4, and 5, and solenoid loads on outputs 1 and 2. This is purely for illustration purposes and doesn't mean anything about the actual type of loads you can connect.

Similarly, the pushbuttons, limit switches, and 3-wire proximity switches shown for the input circuits are just examples, not requirements.

Thanks Ken.
I just wanted to come here and confirm that the only power I needed was the first two terminals, and the O:0/0 was just a demo of a contact relay being toggled but not necessary. It was just confusing, and I hate dealing with main power. Just wanted to confirm before I blow stuff up.

Hi Shosh, you used only the 3 cables (L1, L2, Gnd) to the main line to power up the ML1000?? Or did you connected something else??

I have the same issue. Can you upload a photo please.