calculation help for digital to analog converter

garoken

hi i am now studying a course right but there is a few question i want to ask
1st: say you are given -5 to 10 v output and need to be able to specify the voltage of within 50mv
how do i find resolution, accuracy and bits the converter will need
2nd: an object is moving at 40khz freq. how do i find the frequency the analog unit to the sample at???

because i am not very sure about the formula

Analogue works within a "Range"
you have been given a range -5 to +10
ignore the -/+ look at the total = 15
now it is a simple calculation.
what is frequency
Khz - Thousand Hertz
1 HZ = 1 cyle per second

welcome to the site

ya thanks a lot but as for the formula so far i only found resolution which 2n which is 2 to the power of how many bits but so far i am still lost about the accuracy and bits and for the 2nd does it mean i take 40 x 1000 since 1 khz = 1000hz??? ya i am a beginner at this

2. 40,000 Hz or 40 thousand cycles per second

the formula 2n is number of bits including 0
the decimal system is 0~9
Binary is 0~1
so 2n = 2 x 1 = 2 bits (that is not 2)
But
2^3 = 2x 2 x 2 = 8
or 1000 (thats actually 8)
the correct formula is
2n - 1 for the binary maximum
2 x 2 x 2 - 1 = 7
OR 0~7 (111)
this gets confusing doesnt it.

your answer is a matter of how many bits is needed for each bit to represent 50mV
how many 50mV's are in 15v
keep calculating
your turn

you can always have more bits
if you have 3 bits
you can only show 7 cant you?

Analogue works within a "Range"
you have been given a range -5 to +10
ignore the -/+ look at the total = 15
now it is a simple calculation.

Hmm, as bipolar converters use 1 bit for sign, i'd say that total number of bits for resolution would be calculated for range 0-max(abs(a),abs(b)) where a = max negative value, and b = max positive value.

which in this case would be 0-max(abs(-5),abs(10)) = 0-10V
so the converter would need to have resolution for 0-10V in step of 50mV plus 1 bit for sign

1. This should be intuitively obvious. The question is a little strange because though.
2. The answer to this one is not but a web search will provide the answer faster than asking anybody.

I have a feeling that the answer I would give for #1 would be graded wrong because the instructor would not take into account the practical aspects.

Balash
It may seem hard but it is not
When someone is learning. I will not give you the answer. You will not learn.
My first comment. Ignore the +\- sign has not changed
Do not include it
It is 2:30 am Monday morning. Good night all.

so for the 1st one the best formula i use is 50 divided by 15 which equals to 3.333333333 then i use 2 to the power of 3 which is equals to 8 but as iant said they are only 7 in a binary so i minus by 1 which is equals to 128 bits??? because if i use to the power of 8 it will be 256 and is the formula for accuracy is it 10-5 over 2(128) or 7????

so i found the resolution is actually outputrange divided by 2^n i have the output range but i am missing the bits cause i am not very sure what is the formula and is accuracy same as maximum quantization error????

50 mv = 0.05v
15.000 v
15/.05= 300
binary of 300 is the value i posted above
count the numbet of bits used = 9

total accuracey is 2^9 bits
or
or 511
or 0~511
(512 bits)

Last edited:
:doh:Let me try that again