Devicenet Download Question

kbradray

I have physically added two items (E3)to a devicenet network. I need to add them to the scanlist, map the IO and Download to the scanner. I can't remember if this will take the network down or not.

Can I do this while the machine is running, or will it take the network off line.

This is a large machine with several networks, and to loose one of them unplanned would not be good. I could wait until our next down day if needed.

Ken

It depends on the exact model and revision of the DeviceNet Scanner.

1756-DNB scanner modules with version 7 firmware and above (and starting with RSNetworx for DeviceNet Version 7), support a feature that Rockwell Automation calls 'OSCAR'; "Online Scanlist Changes at Runtime". Those scanners can have nodes added and deleted and changes made to the scanlist while the Scanner is still in RUN mode.

I don't think this feature has been added to any other DeviceNet scanner in the Rockwell product family.

I don't think that RSNetworx can itself place the CPU in PROG mode, but it's been long enough since I tried that I can't say for sure.

If your scanner is from Emerson or Omron or somebody else, the details will vary.

If I were you I would wait. Most likely you will have to put CPU in PROG mode to send/save changes to the scanner what means your network will go down causing machine to stop.

Hi

It does work with the clx as ken said but it does not with the compact logix or slc scanners. Really you do not have to put the plc into program mode just turn off the run mode bit for the card. In saying that I would agree it would be safer to wait as tjntjntjn said because you may or may not be sure what will happen in your program when you atop the scanner card. I normally but a "Run_dnet" bit to turn in the scanner run mode bit so I can toggle this bit

Donnchadh