PC power on without a switch?

Bbarnett

I just thought of a problem with my project and would like some ideas on what is possible. I have an industrial computer that will be installed where the power button is not accessible. Right now the only way I think this will work is to open up the computer and rewire a switch in series with the current switch (or replace..) Any ideas on what else to do?

BTW, I checked the BIOS of this computer and I do not believe it has the ability to turn it on via keyboard/mouse. That would be perfect though.

Hi

I am far from a IT guy as you will get but can you not set up a pc to power down at a set time each night and power back up the next morning at a set time.
I know this may not be want you are looking for but if you change the wiring in the pc this would surly void any makers warrenty

Donnchadh

If it is a modern desktop it will have wake on LAN so that when you try to remotely access the hard drive it will boot the OS but this will only work in deep sleep not an actual power down situation, the only way to do that is to use a switch.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll call Allen Bradley to see what they'll say about me changing the wiring before I proceed to go that route.

The problem with the wake-on-LAN is that the computer may have been turned off by a breaker or an emergency stop situation.

The problem with powering down and on at specific times... looking back at the previous situation, there may be situations where you'd need to turn it back on at irregular times.

Right now the only way I think this will work is to open up the computer and rewire a switch in series with the current switch (or replace..) Any ideas on what else to do?

didn't you mean in parallel, if you would like to be able to turn it on?
or bypass that switch before connecting another one in series?

if the power down situation are your concern, there is option in BIOS to resume as it was before power down occur when power comes back...

Doesn't a typical BIOS these days has a setting "After power loss" or something like that? I usually switch it from "Off" (default) to "On" so the PC will power up whenever the AC power is applied.

As above, all modern computers have an option in the bios to resume powered on state after a power loss.

So once you have powered it on the first time, it will remember this state and if you pull the plug or cut the power then reconnect it, it will power on automatically.

The problem with the wake-on-LAN is that the computer may have been turned off by a breaker or an emergency stop situation.

Then WOL will work. If you have a faulted breaker or an open estop circuit you will have to restore power to the pc no matter how your on /off switch works. If you don't have line power the factory power switch nor your add on will work so yes WOL would work.

The site below has what you would need in terms of a new switch and extension cable but the fron panle factory switch would not work as there is on one port on the MOBO.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g44/c153/list/p1/DIYMod_Parts-Switches.html?o=title_az

You could roll yer own and make both work. None of these solutions is going to be supported by the MFG just take your pick.

You may want to do it with the remote control key fob I have listed below. Lots of people make these and you can roll yer own easily. This kit will let the front button stay in use also.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Start_Reset_Controller_RMPC2.html?tl=g44c153

As above, all modern computers have an option in the bios to resume powered on state after a power loss.

So once you have powered it on the first time, it will remember this state and if you pull the plug or cut the power then reconnect it, it will power on automatically.

This is what I was going to suggest.

didn't you mean in parallel, if you would like to be able to turn it on?
or bypass that switch before connecting another one in series?

if the power down situation are your concern, there is option in BIOS to resume as it was before power down occur when power comes back...

Yeah you're right. Not sure why I was thinking in series..

Now that it's brought up, I don't see a reason for this computer to ever need a soft shutdown.. I still feel like it would be 'cleaner' if the operator could shut it down before the hitting the breaker for maintenance.

@Gil47 - Yeah that would make sense.

@The Plc Kid - Thanks, I'll take a look into those options.

soft shutdown is always good, though i would trash the industrial computer if it can't handle maintenance shutdown through breaker. it cost so much more than cheap PC that i has to robust and resiliant to yearly or monthly abrupt shutdown. 🔨

EDIT:
The push button on a PC is not an ON or OFF switch
It is a pushbutton that tells electronics to toggle its current state.

IMHO, if you ever tried to power up computer power supply, that pushbutton only connect green No. 4 wire to the ground (black No. 3). if you bypass it with clip you could check it yourself.
of course, once powered up, electronic of the modern ATX mainboard keeps it on. (in contrast to older AT that had to have switch rather than pushbutton)

now when i think of it, it would be nice to have some old bucket to play with it...

Last edited:
I think I wasn't understanding what you guys were saying about the restarting. I just found out that no matter what state the computer was in, re-plugging in the power always turns it on. So if an 'on' button is necessary, I could just cut the power cord and do it that way. Thanks again guys.