Wirring for prox switches on Festoon ?

milmat1

I need to choose a cable for some prox switches located on an overhead festoon system. They will be standard 24VDC 3wire prox to a digital input at the PLC. The problem is the distance total is close to 200 feet.

What would you suggest using here, and is the distance really any problem considering the 24VDC and the wide range of both the sensor and the PLC input. Something on the order of 10-30vdc..

One senor is to detect rotation of a shaft and one will count teeth of a rack gear to determine position..

Being in a festoon wire carrier I am thinking maybe it should be an IGUS cable ?

I have had problems using anything but them in a energy track application. I realize the festoon is less stressful than a rolling track however it is still going to flex a great deal..
Any suggestions?

Igus would be a good place to start:

http://www.igus.com/wpck/default.as...10&c=US&L=en&gclid=CMzt3sWM3rgCFYN_Qgodp2oAhg

Each "pick" in the festoon should cradle the cable so it doesn't bend too sharply; size the cradles based on the min. bending radius of the cable you choose. I imagine the Igus application engineers could steer you towards the correct choice in cable and supports. Robotic cable is designed for the stresses of festooning and twisting/flexing.

rpoet

RPOET,

Thank you !! I have had such good luck with Igus in the past. They have lasted where Belden super flex failed..

Thanks for the help !

We have used Igus a few times for e-chain on the floor type stuff (for transfer cars). What I like about them is they will build your track with the cables in it and put it on a spool. You just unroll it and wire it up. They have the amazing pens too.

We have used Wampfler for festoon, they were pretty helpful in designing s proper system.