OT: Does the human body have an EStop circuit?

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
The health-care and the machine automation worlds hardly ever
cross-over.
We don't hear of PLCs (or anything programmable) being used in
medical equipment, so , that makes sense.
But, did you ever think of the human body as a machine, of sorts?
And, if you can accept that, does it make sense that there would
be some sort of emergency mechanism, to allow the body to
protect itself?
I'm no medical person, but I think I've found something that's
a real parallel to an ESTOP circuit, and every human has one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

If i remember correctly, the body goes in shock after some serious trauma. You could see this as a E-stop. Vains retract so the blood loss would not be that much. I'm not a doctor. In some cases we faint, this could also be seen as a E-stop.

These are how i think of it.

Fainting Goats have an e-stop that's genetically programmed into them. Whenever they are scared or spooked they just freeze. Unable to run / walk etc.

Apparently they were developed like this so that the old American farmers could leave a few 'Fainting Goats' in with their sheep flocks. If wolves came and the sheep ran for it, the poor goat got so frightened it just froze.

The wolves chomped the 'cheap' goat and left the more expensive sheep.

YouTube has a few videos of them.

I suppose we have a similar thing where if we're really scared we just freeze and our body refuses to do what it's told. This is normally accompanied by a whimpering "oh f..." sound.... ;-)

Watched an interesting program the other night about our nervous system and how an electric shock effects us.

If we imagine our nerve fibers are like little signal wires to the brain,( plc hehe) they are. But, they are not wires. They are more like a massive chain of opto-isolators. So the voltage does not get to the brain and blow the main cpu. It passes into the muscles and through the skin.
The opto-isolators just pass the signal that there is a massive fault at the end of nerve 3000,456,99 so stop touching whatever is causing the fault - quick. :)

The human Vasovagal response would be more closely related to a machine's Halt, Pause, or temporary stop button.

The true human Emergency Stop button, where all energy is removed, and all actions are halted, and from which no recovery can be made is ....

Death.

I'm thinking that we are more like a timer with an unknown but carefully designed time set. When the time runs out we shutdown.

We should all know who set the programmed the time. ;)

Would a Gun Act line E-Stop !!! Bamm all stop !!
I don't believe so, that would be more like a catastrophic fault. Like a direct short in the primary wiring caused by an irate Bubba throwing wrenches.
An E-Stop is designed into the system.

I have vasovagal syncope, which causes occasional unexplained fainting (super fun.) I would classify it more as a "forced reboot" from personal expeience. :D