AB Softstart Questions

Tim Ganz

We are building a new control system for one of our grinders and were looking at using a soft start. looks like these SMC 50 are the newset kids on the block. We already have a couple SMC flex units on our site but it looks like this newer SMC 50 is more feature packed.

We want to know when the granulator chamber is full and the granulator motor is getting overloaded so we can stop feeding material into it. We have never had good accuracy with current rings and one of our contractors recommended this device instead http://www.loadcontrols.com/products/products.html stating that it would be more accurate for this application. Does anyone have any experience with the load controls stuff? He was guiding to the UPC. He said this would be more accurate than current rings and digital meters as it measure power and not just current.

Also if we do use the SMC 50 with ethernet and a compactlogix ethernet plc is there a way to monitor total current and phase current and bring it into the plc and set an alarm if it exceeds? Maybe even display it all the time on the panelview?

Wil the SMC soft starters on ethernet do this?

I've used the Load Controls products with good success. The setup was a little fussy but they were reliable and accurate.

Would I need the load controls unit with the SMC soft start though? I am trying to determine if it will give me an accuate load feedback that I can monitor from the PLC.

I would like to use the ethernet setup if possible?

most softstarters use two phase control with one phase always powered.
so Yes you do need an isolation contactor.
Probably AC1 rating because it will not usually see load break conditions