OT - Task Hazard Risk Assesment

Freak

Hi All - this is off topic but I was hoping someone can help me out. I have been asked to set up a 'Task Hazard Risk Assessment" specific for electrical tasks. The idea is as the electricians go to perform a task they do a quick risk assessment (tick and flick) to cover off things like, remove watch put on insulated gloves.
Does anyone have anything they are willing to share?

Cheers

Hi

What about

Maybe are glasses required
Is there a voltage sign on the door to tell you the actual voltage inside the panel
Is there a isolator for the panel
I the the mains to the panel is to be isolated is the mains source marked on the panel
Check the panel voltage with meter if power down and were to check the in coming mains,
Just one I like is there a label on the door to tell you is it a mains or control panel or both then your not opening ever panel door looking for the plc or servo drive etc
Is there a label inside to tell you what the wire colors are as they can be different within a plant never mind from plant to plant.

Is the panel in need of repair simple yes/no

Donnchadh

here is some things

watches
rings
ties
long hair
id badges on long shoestring harness
keychaing hanging out of pockets
safety glasses with side shields
hearing protection
safety shoes
proper PPE
LOTO for electrical / pneumatic / hydraulic
Arc Flash rating Cat 0,1,2,3,4 - we use 2 and 4 only.
Arc Flash PPE and arc flash trained.
testing of digital voltmeter befor using it in panel to verify
its working status.
safety harness training for genie boom type equipment

hope this helps,
james

I have been asked to set up a 'Task Hazard Risk Assessment" specific for electrical tasks.
. . .
Does anyone have anything they are willing to share?
Here is an Excel spreadsheet that I wrote several years ago for Electrical Hazard Assessments for Arc-Flash protection. It evaluates an electrical task based on the voltage level and the specific equipment types that will be involved.

Oops! :oops: I see that you are in Australia, so your electrical codes will be different.

Last edited:
I think "Tick and Flick" sheets are worthless because you cheat!

I suggest (Presuming your regs are similar to the UK)NO live working but permit testing IF the circuits are below 110v CTE OR IP2X protected terminals.

If the terminals are not IP2X, can they have something fitted (Cover/shield etc) to protect the technician?

If all else fails, it's a full blown live working electrical permit but unless you work for a power company, I cannot see any justification for live working!!!

Think "Hierarchy of control" ERICPD - with "Eliminate" at the top and "PPE" and "Direction" at the bottom. I hate PPE.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guy's.
Ned - I agree that "tick and flick" is fairly minimal protection. Generally our equipment is fairly well up to standard. The purpose is a quick risk assessment to ensure that nothing has changed, complacency will still be a problem.

Lancie - thanks for sharing your work, formatting makes it easy to follow.

James and Donnchadh - thanks for your input, I agree with most of the points you have made.

Once I have something ready for review I will post here.

Thanks for your time guys.