Life of Siemens Power Supplies

mjaye65

Good Afternoon All,

I have learned a lot off of this forum over the years. I have been tasked with coming up with a preventative maintenance plan for replacing Siemens 5 and 7 power supplies. Looking at the usage across the company it appears that failures are starting after the five year mark.

Our operations are 24/7 365 so these guys never rest.

I would like to ask the group recommendations on what you have seen or implemented please.

I appreciate all the input.

Thanks in advance for your time.

it appears that you have already established the life of the units, 5 years.

so why not say replace them every 4 6 months to 4 years 9 months?

sorry, but we use ab and we only replace them when they fail.
been here a year, only replaced 1.

we run 24/7 365 except for our shutdown periods.

regards,
james

I agree with James
Unless it is a major concern - I would only replace when they fail.
BUT
make sure that you have a backup of the program
AND
with the S5 - these have long since been obsolete.
you need to be ready to replace the entire PLC with an S7 or similar.
I would be tempted to manufacture a control panel as a "swap over"
then schedule that over a production break.
Also check all your battery use by dates.
This is normally forgotten and if the machine is powered down
you will loose your program.
the Power supply failing is the least of your worries.

Thanks Guys, We have plans in place to upgrade obselete S5 with S7 and are working toward this goal. Some remote sites are so faster than others. The Batteries if equipped are required to be replaced annualy no matter the state. To many techs forgetting to check this as you know in other industries.

I just thought there might be a life cycle or life span someone has seen documented that would back up the recomendation. If I can not find OEM documentation I can use the useage but the bean counters like OEM recomendations.

Thanks for all your input and assistance as always.