Connected Components Workshop causing trouble using USB to serial adapter?

realolman

I recently have not been able to connect to three seperate MicroLogixs using a USB to serial adapter. I have connected to them before and even took a snapshot of the configuration of the driver in RSLinx. I tried different cords, null modems, etc... I am convinced that the problem lies in my computer.

I am wondering if the CCW ( that I recently installed ) which uses a USB cord, could be the cause of this problem and what I might be able to do about it, or how I could tell... Uninstall the CCW??

Seems like every time I install something from Rockwell it screws something else up that is completely unexpected.

thank you in advance

What version of RSLinx are you running. I was talking to our local AB rep about how much I like CCW for setting up drives and he asked me if I had any issues. I told him that everything was working correctly and asked him why. He said that a customer called him and said they were having problems . They seem to think that it was tied to software versions. He also said that the EDS file database has changed and they think that this was a possible cause. Maybe someone else has seem this. Make sure that all your software is up to date.

@realolman check to see if the USB to serial converter port address has changed. I have had a lot of problems with changing from one USB port to another changing my com port address.

I was running a cheap USB convertor but it caused problems with some software
I changed to KEYSPAN
I am running bith WIN 7 32 and 64 bit

As you've seen, CCW uses the EtherNet/IP and USB drivers in RSLinx Classic. It's really pretty elegant when you plug into a Micro 800-series controller: RSLinx Classic automatically creates the USB driver. When you unplug, the driver is removed.

CCW doesn't attempt to use the DF1 drivers or the Windows COM ports.

The most likely thing that you are encountering, in my opinion, is that adding another USB device has caused your computer to re-assign the COM port of the USB/RS232 converter. Open up the Windows Control Panel, go to Hardware -> Devices -> Ports (LPT and COM) and see exactly which COM port your USB/RS232 device has been assigned.

Be certain that this is the COM port number that you are configuring when you set up a DF1 RS-232 Devices driver in RSLinx Classic.

As always, if you can provide some additional information like the OS you are running, the make and model of RS232/USB converter, and the versions of RSLinx Classic and Connected Components Workshop.

For all the things I dislike about CCW, its USB driver mechanism is really very straightforward, stable, and easy to use.

I am at home so I don't know specifics, but I use a keyspan USB converter that has always worked well.. I know about checking what COM port is assigned to it.

There have been times when I had to uninstall the Keyspan and restart the computer, because it seemed like either Factory talk or RSLinx wouldn't "let it go"

One thing I did notice that I think is odd, is that if you assign the COM port to the Keyspan manually, there is some sort of "helper" or something ...I don't remember what it's called ...that shows you what COM ports are available. The only ones available were 2 and 8 in the first 8... why would that be? What's using the other ones? I removed all the other drivers of every kind from RSLinx. Does Factory Talk use RSLinx?

I will check the Revisions of the software, but what stands out to me is the installation of the CCW between this time and the last time I communicated with these MicroLogix controllers.

I don't know how to check on that other than uninstalling it... and it seemed to me to take a long time to install.

How could I tell if the CCW is causing the problem?

thanks for all your expert replies.

Two of the software packages you are using can be inelegant in the way they use COM port resources.

FactoryTalk View generally uses a data provider called RSLinx Enterprise. This is generally configured using FactoryTalk View Studio (the Communications folder in the project tree). It can run serial drivers, and it generally keeps them running even when you shut down the Studio software.

RSLinx Classic is the RSLinx you're familiar with for communicating with SLCs and MicroLogix controllers. When it is shut down (rather than just running as a service) it generally gives up all the serial resources it was using.

I strongly recommend solving the problem directly using error messages and diagnostic tools. There is no benefit in making assumptions or "post hoc propter hoc" arguments that blame the most recently installed software for the malfunction, nor in piling on general blame to the vendor.

An Example of one guy's Windows COM port list

In the Windows Hardware Device Manager, select the View -> Show Hidden Devices option.

Windows sometimes creates COM port assignments that don't automatically get removed when the hardware gets removed.

Consider my current COM port setup, as shown by Device Manager in Windows 7 Professional:

Communications Port (COM1)
ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Standard Serial over Bluetooth Link (COM6)
Standard Serial over Bluetooth Link (COM8)
USB Serial Port (COM18)
USB Serial Port (COM19)

I know that COM1 is the serial port on my Dell docking station. I know that COM18 and COM19 are my Stratus Engineering EZ-Tap, because it's connected to my USB hub.

But those Bluetooth serial ports ? They're leftovers. Bluetooth is disabled, and the device I tested months ago has long since been lost in a drawer somewhere.

When I plug in my Keyspan USA-19HS directly to the computer, it shows up as "Keyspan USB Serial Port (COM2)".

One of the reasons I like the Keyspan is that it enumerates as the same COM2 no matter which USB port I plug it into, including the one connected through the built-in USB hub in my external monitor. Some cheaper USB/RS232 devices would take up a different COM port depending on which port you plugged them into.

So back to the MicroLogix connection: what are the symptoms you see in RSLinx Classic ?

Does the port LED on the Keyspan unit light up when you start the DF1 driver ?

Does the MicroLogix appear at all in the RSWho browse ?

Do any error messages appear, like "timeout on local network" or "cannot open port" ?

no errors no timeouts no nuthin... It just does not connect

the Micrologix does not appear in RSWho

the light is lit on the keyspan
there doesn't seem to be anything wrong except it won't connect... I have a snapshot of the driver I used to connect before and I go to the Device manager to see what COM port is assigned to the Keyspan ....when I plug and un-plug it, it appears and disappears in the Device Manager

I don't have any blutooth or any of that kind of stuff

I have tried a number of different cords

The CCW uses a USB port to communicate with the Micros ...why do you not think it is the CCW?

I thought I would update you since you were so kind as to help me when I asked.

Now that I have found the problem it seems that it should have been easier, but while I was going through it it was not very apparent.

The key span USB converter was bad. It talked to the computer all right, but did not do whatever it was supposed to do with the serial connection. I uninstalled CCW but that did not help. Then I tried to connect to a bar code scanner I had and it wouldn't connect to that either.

I have a couple questions if anyone would care to address them :
The USB converter apparently caused the bar code reader program to crash ...why would that be?

What exactly does the USB converter do?

Thanks again for your help ....as always, you are the best