PVP1000 DH+ comms prob with FTV 6.10

pw3

As above, new PVP1000 with 2711-RN6 module. Converting a small project over from a PV1000C.

Anyway, my config is as follows--PVP1000 with DH+ to a SLC500 (5/04), laptop connected to SLC500 via DH+, and to PVP via ethernet (for faster downloads only).

I have setup a DH+ server, and added a SLC 5/04 to it using RSLinx Enterprise, all with correct node numbers.

I have valid comms shortcuts setup, both in Design and Runtime modes.

NOW, when I go in to setup the source of a tag, and reference my comms shortcut folder, and then the "online" folder, the online folder is BLANK. Nothing in there.

Refreshed several times, tried our backup laptop (to rule out a pc issue), same thing.

Is this an obvious problem I am missing? The PVP, when put in run mode, is not seeing any data/tags, despite good DH+ comms to the processor.

Any input is welcome!

Hi

I am not 100% but I taught dh+ will not work with ver 6.1 it will work with 5 but I am not sure about 6.
I remember reading that Ab has stopped this option

Sorry to be the one to tell you this

Donnchadh

Hmmm, our AB rep didn't mention any of this when they spec'd out the replacement for the PV1000C--

Regardless though, our laptop, which is capable of saving the MER (runtime) file in previous versions, such as v5.0, is doing the same thing in "test/simulate" mode. It cannot locate the tag database on the target processor, and despite entering the tags by hand it will not connect to them.

I'd be happy if I could get it to work that way first, then address the PV v6.10 issue.

PV+6 Rev.6.0 firmware will run on DH+ neworking; I have recently converted six PV1400e applications running on DH+ with SLC5/04 and PLC5 controllers while using FTVS ME Rev.6.1 software.
I am not sure if Rev.6.1 firmware is functional though; it might very well not be supported on Legacy communications.
A quick fix will be to downgrade the PV+6 terminal firmware to 6.0 which we know is functional on DH+ networking.
The ControlFlash Rev. 6.00.05 kit is available for dowload at:
http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?keyword=PC%20Card&crumb=112

RIO will not work on PV+6, but DH+ will. However, during development none of this should matter one bit.

You are referring to the tag browser being empty, because you aren't online with the processor. Once you have setup the proper comms path in the design tab this will appear. Sometimes you may have to right click and refresh all folders.

How are you connected to the PLC? I did read that on a development machine only a 1784-PKTX is supported. May be your problem. Is Ethernet not an option?

James

The 2711P-RN6 module retains DH+ functionality only in FTView 6.0, 6.10, and 7.0. As has been noted, RIO functionality of that hardware was discontinued with the PV+6.

I agree that the crucial question is the configuration of the Design-time shortcut. The OP said it was on a laptop, so it must be a 1784-PCMK or 1784-U2DHP. Neither of those is supported by RSLinx Enterprise.

There's a tricky method that involves using RSLinx Classic as the data server (which does support the 1784-PCMK and 1784-U2DN) then switching the OPC Topic for a FactoryTalk Shortcut of the same name. I don't recommend it.

Instead, I recommend manually typing in your controller data file element addresses when you create HMI Tags or Direct References.

resolved

Thanks all for your time and advice.

I ended up resolving this issue using Ken's approach of manually typing the correct topic name in each tag's address and it all began to work. I did notice a bit of a delay (about 2.5sec) in the display updating live data via DH+ comms, but it's otherwise usable.

Laptop interface is the USB DH+ adaptor, and can confirm there are no options for that in RSL Enterprise.

Interesting to hear about the RIO feature being dropped. I'm actually thinking our AB rep told us DH+ had been dropped and sold us some sort of Prosoft ethernet to DH+ dongles-- I'm trying to get a straight answer from them about that right now, as a matter of fact.

Thanks again! :geek: