Structured Text Execution

Hi,
I am developing software for a new plant we are working on, hardware that we are using is APAX-5520KW PAC from Advantech. Up until now I only programmed using ladder/FBD and occasionally writing C scripts for customized functions. This particular project requires bit of a complicated control scheme with some motion control as well, which makes ST a preferable choice. This is also the first time I am using PAC (soft PLC) instead of regular PLC's
Now my questions regarding ST are

1. What determines the scan time of a program written in ST?
  2. When a function is called in ST, does execution of parent function stops until the called function returns?
  3. My hardware becomes unresponsive if I use a timer inside a WHILE loop, does this mean that the CPU stops execution of rest of program once it enters a WHILE loop?
Any other tips regarding ST, and links that provide examples will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Anas
C&M Engineering
www.pakplc.com

1 the number of instructions
2 yes but that is with all languages the same a processor can do only one thing at a time.
3 as long as the while is true yes.

im downloaded the OSCATBasic DOc. ENglish version 3.33, looks like their is a wealth of info in their, thanks shooter.