Programming for a 1794-IJ2 Module

gizmo

Greetings,
I'm putting a 1794-IJ2 (Frequency Input Module) in a small Flex I/O drop from a ControlLogix PLC. The user manual gives programming logic examples for PLC 2, 3, 5 and 5/250 PLCs but none for a ControlLogix. Can anyone be of help with basic ladder instructions needed for programming.

Thanks

Which network are you using? The ControlLogix supports a bunch of network interfaces to FLEX I/O, including RIO, ControlNet, DeviceNet, EtherNet/IP, Profibus, Modbus..... Which one are you using ?

We are communicating on Ethernet. A 1756-ENBT module to a 1794-AENT module. If I have left out anymore, needed info please let me know.

Thanks again!

The programming examples in Chapter 3 of the 1794-IJ2 user manual are all about using Block Transfer instructions to get the Input and Configuration data to and from the 1794-IJ2 module via the Remote I/O Network from various controllers that support that network.

You don't have to do any of that ladder logic with EtherNet/IP and the ControlLogix. When you configure a 1794-IJ2 as a child device to a 1794-AENT network adapter, RSLogix 5000 version 10 creates a set of pre-configured controller-scope tags to put that data into.

With an older PLC, you'd need to block transfer that data into a set of integer words, then carefully designate which word/bit memory locations represent which data element in the module. In ControlLogix, data elements for the module are automatically created and named, and the transfer of the data is handled by the EtherNet/IP firmware based on the connection you set up in the I/O Configuration tree in RSLogix 5000.

Thanks Ken,
It'll probably be about a month before we have field devices installed and flex i/o connected. I'm tring to get a jump on the programming but will not be able to checkout yet.

This site has been a great help.
Thanks for the prompt respones.

See Ya

Hello Ken and Gizmo,
I'm new to the ControlLogix and would like your help to program the above module.

I want to use the module to count pluses off an encoder. Is this posible?
Using RsNetWorks-DeviceNet(offlione) I added the module to Flex I/O but it gives only a frequency input, no outputs at all (should have 2). How do I configure it so I can count the number of pluses from the encoder?