Setting IP Gateway address for 1756 Contoller from remote

louie3888

Guys,

I'm dialed into a VPN and connected to a PC running Factory Talk View ME that is connected to the 1756 PLC over Ethernet with an IP address and subnet, however it has no gateway. I need to be able somehow to remote to Factory Talk PC and remotelly add a gateway address to the PLC controller net interface and point it to my ASA device which translates the equipment network to the inside customer network. The PC does not have RSLogix 5000 on it, and the browser does not allow you to alter the address for the gateway. Is there a lite utility of sort which will allow me to go into the device and add a gateway to it? This way i can connect to the PLC over the VPN using Logix 5000 to make a reset!?

Thank you

RSLinx Classic is the usual tool to modify the network address, subnet, gateway, and BOOTP/DHCP status of a 1756 series module.

Do you have it on the remote PC, or on yours ?

Even the Lite version (free to download) has this feature.

Thank you. I.m remoteing into the Factory Talk PC that is connected to the 1756 through the ASA, however the tech that installed a new PLC did no set the gateway so it wont route for VPN access. I hope putting Lite on the that PC does not cause any issue. Also would you have a link to a article that explains a step by step approach to setting the gateway IP!?

How exactly are you "remoting in" to this PC; are you using Remote Desktop Protocol, or GoToMyPC, or Hamachi, or some other method ?

You're going to need a PC running RSLinx Classic software somewhere in the mix. If it's on the same PC that's running FactoryTalk View ME, and you have desktop access to that PC, you can use it directly.

Look for Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx Classic