Help needed with AB Micro830 programming

jwalter007

I have decided to us an AB Micro830 with CC workbench to get started with programming PLCs.
I have run thru the AB traffic light tutorial and have tried to apply it to my own requirement for a simple machine I am working on.

The machine has 2 motors. An agitator which will be turned on & off from a switch and eventually from a touch screen.

The other motor will be set up to run in constant mode or auto mode. In auto mode it will receive a trigger & run for, say 5 seconds, then wait for another trigger to start over.

First question is in the tutorial, they created a user defined block then used that program from. Is that a requirement or can you just begin creating a new program with ladder logic.

I havent been able to find any other programming tutorials to use so thats all i have to work off of. I hope that wasnt a stupid question.

Next, can you point me in the right direct on getting started. I was able to create a start button to initiate the first motor. I was able to use a timer to delay the start.
I have not been able to figure out how to stop & reset it yet.
Also are there anythings that you always need in a PLC program such as, beginning reset of devices or something like that?
If you know of any learning resources please let me knoe.
thanks.

this could be helpfull

Also the touch screen will need to talk via MODBUS
so it is easier to talk to the screen while you are programming it
🍺

Thanks for posting this. Ill try to reverse engineer it.
Do you know if there is a simulator or just use debug mode to open & close contacts?
thanks
jason

That program is a little advanced for me just yet.
Would you mind taking a quick look at this image of a simple ladder I made to try to turn an output on/off using variables. I know ive done some thing wrong. Any advice would be helpful.

Im really struggling over how to make it a momentary on. I tried using the last rung to set each var back to what I want, but that didnt seem to work.
thanks
Ladder_zpse78a5ad9.jpg

Set and reset is not the best way for start and stop mode. Use a hold in contact and the stop in series. The stop button should be wired normaly closed to its input

The demo program "initial" block uses the function block portion and can be used in any program as it is
That contains some useful bits

There is an online monitor mode.

not a latch - this is called a 'hold in' - there are differences
this rung is almost identical to a normal hard wired motor control ct.

not a latch - this is called a 'hold in' - there are differences
this rung is almost identical to a normal hard wired motor control ct.

Not to thread-hijack, but can you elaborate on the difference between a 'hold in' and a 'latch' as you are describing?

Using the SET and RESET or (S) (R) or (L) (U)
is known as Latching and Unlatching contacts
these contacts keep their state until you reset or Unlatch them.

In Hard wiring there are relays that are Latching relays that do the same operation
they have a 'LATCH' coil and an 'UNLATCH' coil

the 'HOLD IN' only functions when the power is on
If you remove the power they will de-energise.

this is the HARD WIRE terminoligy and, as old as it is
needs to be still used due to the physical operation of the two control methods