Recipe Plus, managing recipe files externally

brstilson

Anybody know if this is possible? I know about the .rpp file that is associated with the recipe, but opening it up in notepad it looks like something I wouldn't recommend my customer try to edit manually. Ideally, We'd like the customer to be able to edit the recipes on a personal computer, then transfer them to the Panelview. Is this possible at all? Processor is a COntrol Logix 1756-L72 and Panelview Plus 6 1000

You can use RSView Enterprise File Viewer to read the .rpp files and convert them to dbf or cvs files and then edit those, but I've not been able to find a way to convert the edited dbf or csv file back to an .rpp file for use in the PanelView. If anyone knows how to do that I'd be interested in knowing how as well!

On a similar note. If I open the RPP file in View Studio and modify it, can I copy the file back to the CF card in my PVP and use the modified setup. Specifically I have input limits on some values that a customer wishes to have removed.

On a similar note. If I open the RPP file in View Studio and modify it, can I copy the file back to the CF card in my PVP and use the modified setup. Specifically I have input limits on some values that a customer wishes to have removed.

That I think you should be able to do.

Well, I have been supporting one of our customers on the side so to speak for a long time now and I guess I will try this and use him as a guinea pig. It just seems easier than recompiling the whole application and reloading it. I'll post back with the results.

I really hope rockwell starts using an open format (csv) for rpp and datalogging. I have done a few WinCC Flex projects and all of the recipes and data were incredibly easy to manage.

It just seems easier than recompiling the whole application and reloading it. I'll post back with the results.

This did not work. You can modify the recipe data and create / delete recipes in the file, but you cannot modify the limits. This is part of the application. I had to recompile the .mer file and reload the application.

Question along these lines:

If the .rpp file is part of the HMI application and has been running on the PanelView for a while, edits being made and everything and then you make changes to the limits, recompile, and send the revised application to the PanelView then isn't all the edited recipe lost as it was part of the original compile and resided on the PaelView.

And isn't that the same problem if the .rpp file isn't part of the HMI application but is on SD Card?

I guess you would have to bring the .rpp file back off the HMI (that way you preserve any edits made to the ingredients), make your limits (or what ever) changes and then either recompile it as part of the HMI application or back onto the SD Card. But is that possible?

If the recipes are stored on the CF card, you can recompile the application and not loose any recipe data. If recipes are part of the app, then the runtime changes will be overwritten.
Several years ago, Rockwell made it possible to decompile a .mer file. I do not know if this preserves changes made to recipes during runtime.