PLC skill set matrix

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been asked to put together a matrix listing the skills needed to keep a plant running. The intent is to point out weak areas and eventually provide training to fill the gaps. Attached is my first pass at such a matrix. I would appreciate your comments, suggestions and guidance. As always your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That skill set will be different for every plant, it would be nearly imposable to find a single person that covers EVERY point for every plant.
You may want to be less general and at least specify an industry, i.e. Automotive Assembly Plant, Tier 2 Assembly Plant, Power Plant, Egg producing Plant.
Most have their own needs and requirements to stay up and running in a safe and secure manner.

Good point. I was trying to identify those thing most plants don't think about. You may have many talented folks that can troubleshoot, when it come to replacing hardware there seems to be a gap... at least in the places I've worked.

Russ is on to it,
Try to assign a value to every area. ie

0 points Limited awareness
1 point Helper, limited knowledge
2 points Contributor but needs direction
3 points Sufficient skill to work independently
4 points More skill than the job requires Teacher
5 points. Guru, experimenter, inventor

Most plants have a 2 average across all skills

I would have the replace IO modules as a basic skill set.
What about searching / cross referencing?
Reading electrical prints?
Using mfg documentation to interpret LED indicators